1993 19'3" Intimidator Handling Issue

Hello,

I have a 1993 19'3' Intimidator with a 225 Yamaha OX66 VMAX. I'm running a 4 blade 25 pitch Trophy Plus prop with 4 large PVS plugs in it. I have the factory 6" jack plate raised all the way up and have the motor mounted as high as possible on the plate. My prop shaft to pad dimension is about 3.25"-3.5". The boat comes out of the hole fairly decently; the motor immediately revs to approximately 3400 rpm and by 3600 rpm the bow is breaking over. The issue I'm having is on the top end...and I used to have a 206, so I'm used to driving a padded boat and dealing with chine walk. However, with my current Intimidator, I can get it up to approximately 70 at approximately 5700-5800 rpm and then the ass end of the boat just starts skating side to side like crazy. It is beyond chine walk where when it starts, you can make small steering adjustments and correct it.

My 206 had the same manual jack plate with a 200 Merc running a 26 pitch chopper style prop with pretty much the same prop shaft to pad distance. It ran low to mid 70's loaded and the ass end was always stuck like glue...you had to drive it of course, but it never felt out of control or started skating all over the place like my current boat.

Any help or ideas would be much appreciated. I didn't know if it could be an issue with the model prop I'm running. I have read a couple of threads where people said they sent their prop off and had extra cup added to it and that cured the problem. I don't mind sending it to Mark to have it worked or going with one of his RAZR 4's if that will fix my problem. What I don't want to do is buy a new prop and have the same issue. To make matters worse, I can't get it up to top speed to provide accurate numbers to him. Thanks in advance.

2. Member
    Something isn't right with the numbers you provided! If you have the engine mounted as high as it can be and the same with the jack plate you should be seeing p-2-p ~1". If your numbers are correct you have a problem! Your p-2-p should be ~2" give or take 1/4".

3. Member
    I have a 1998 19' 3" Intimidator with a 2020 Pro XS 200 4 stroke. The additional weight in the back of my boat couple with the new Bobs Hydraulic JP I installed made it squirelly as hell.......just like you describe. I tried props from 26P down to 22P and it didnt matter. I moved my TM batteries to the front compartment and it got rid of the crazy handling at speed.

I suspect you have too much weight in the back. My new set up is 126lbs heavier than what I had.

Working on prop selection now.

UPDATE - I ended up with a Bravo FS 22P 6200rpm/65MPH Might have been ok with 23P and lost 200rpm. Holeshot is the bomb, fuel economy badass.
    Last edited by GamblerJoe; 12-08-2020 at 02:23 PM.

4. Member
    Gambler Joe,

Thanks for the input. I definitely have a good bit of weight in the bilge area. I have 3 trolling motor batteries that are probably 60 lbs each, a smaller cranking battery and the oil tank. I really hate to move the batteries forward because by the time I put 3 large batteries in the front compartment, I won't have any room left for tackle.

Quote Originally Posted by GamblerJoe View Post
    I have a 1998 19' 3" Intimidator with a 2020 Pro XS 200 4 stroke. The additional weight in the back of my boat couple with the new Bobs Hydraulic JP I installed made it squirelly as hell.......just like you describe. I tried props from 26P down to 22P and it didnt matter. I moved my TM batteries to the front compartment and it got rid of the crazy handling at speed.

I suspect you have too much weight in the back. My new set up is 126lbs heavier than what I had.

Working on prop selection now.
    Attached Images Attached Images

5. Member
    yupitsme,

I have attached images of my set up along with measurements. With the pad as level as I can get it (it varies like crazy depending on where you place the level) and with the cavitation plate level on the motor, I come up with 2.75" prop to pad distance. Do you see anything that I am measuring incorrectly? Thanks,
    Attached Images Attached Images

6. Member
    If you level the hull you'll be as close to a level pad as your going to get. The pad you're trying to level has a built in hook to assist with getting the boat up n' over on the hole shot. Just level the inside bunk near the transom. But, even the 2.75" p-t-p is way better than what you first reported. The lower unit is probably a good part of the issue. You might want to try a larger diameter prop. That'll mean going to a 3 blade prop but the Yammie lower unit may be displacing too much water for the smaller diameter prop causing it to bite then lose bite - which would create the condition you're describing.

7. Member
    Since you are all the up on Jackplate, trying lowering jackplate.

i would lower a full inch just to see how much difference it makes.

Side to side movement sounds like the prop is loosing bite, then re-acquiring, over and over. Hydraulic steering? make sure its bled and no play.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamblinman View Post
    Side to side movement sounds like the prop is loosing bite, then re-acquiring, over and over. Hydraulic steering? make sure its bled and no play.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^

10. Member
    yupitsme,

Thanks for the info.

11. Member
    Gamblinman,

Thanks. I'm going to give Mark Croxton a call and discuss the prop with him. As far as the hydraulic steering goes, I have bled it several times and have no air bubbles in it. It does not seem to have any play in it but I will admit that the feeling is alot different than my 206 that had teleflex cable steering. The hydraulic steering is definitely an upgrade but you do not get the same feedback when you make an input into the steering.

12. Member
    Over time you will feel the feedback from hydraulic steering. It's there just different.

13. Member
    Pics of my setup - Just slapped a 22P Bravo 1 FS on today. Running it Sunday.a.jpgb.jpgc.jpgd.jpg

A 22p?????
    Sterling 22XS / Mercury Pro XS V8

15. Member
    Yes a 22P - The new Pro XS V8 engines don't spin as much pitch as the two strokes. I have a 200HP- I ran 6200rpm at 65mph this weekend. I may be able to go up to a 23P.

I would have to think that your rig should be capable of low 70's with that beast.
    Burning the candle at both ends.

I bought a 92 Intimidator with a 200efi. I am having my old 225 efi put on there, my 10” jackplate, and adding hydraulic steering. I haven’t gotten it back yet so I have no experience. But when you figure out the setup, I would love to know so I have somewhere to start. I took the boat out with the 200 a couple times and had it to 73-74. So I’m surprised with GamblerJoe’s speed numbers with the new 4 stroke.
    1992 Gambler Intimidator with a 1998 Mariner Magnum EFI 225