Mystery hose leak

98 200 optimax
    SN - OG753263

Was out today and noticed that a hose/tube coming out of the rigging area on the motor and to the boat was spraying water onto the hydraulic steering. I believe this is a water pressure hose that runs up to the console. I tried to trace it back into the motor and looked as if it went to the back of the engine towards the bottom and connects to a barb fitting on the block. I have attached a pic where the hose was leaking. What am I dealing with here?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Not sure about your year of Optimax but on my Pro XS, there is a fitting on the back of the motor that has a hose connected to it that goes to a T fitting. One side of the T goes to a water pressure sensor on the motor. The other side runs through the rigging hose and to the water pressure gauge at the console. The water pressure and the speedometer hoses usually have quick connect fittings near the rigging hose.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

Probably your water pressure gauge. Put a double barb splice in it, zip tie both sides and be done.

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryanmc57 View Post
    Probably your water pressure gauge. Put a double barb splice in it, zip tie both sides and be done.
    +1

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Just an update. Got a 1/4” brass hose splice kit, secured with zip ties. Held yesterday and seems ok. Think I will replace hose out of cowling this winter since the splice was very close to where the hose came out of the cowling, not much room. Thanks!!!