Thread: Yum bait spray.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Yum bait spray.

Use Yum shad flavored bait spray always. Have often wondered it it's effective or a gimmick. Does it wash off? Does it work? Senior moment today. Sprayed my Yamamoto Cowboy jig trailer down real good. Made about 6 cast and had a great bite, missed the fish. Retrieved jig and trailer had slid down from double barb keeper, nose of trailer was damaged. Stupid impulse decision, bite a little bit off the nose. This stuff is the real deal. It does not wash off. Never stick in anything in your mouth that has been sprayed with this stuff. No water in boat, Nothing to get that taste outta my mouth. Think I need to call the EPA. Why would a bass eat anything that tastes like that????

2020 Ranger 521L Tour, 300 Mercury, 112 Minn Kota Ultrex
    3 12" Helix Units, Mega Si, Mega Di, Mega 360, Garmin 8412 W LiveScope mounted on Rite Hite Turret.

Does it taste anything like Sardines? I like Sardines on a cracker with a little mustard on top.

3. Member
    I remember back in the 80s all the pros were promoting some kind of scent product, Fish Formula, Riverside, Yum, and many more. Today even with all the live coverage you never see them spraying their baits with any magic potion, but they still catch fish. They do use Berkley Max Scent products quite often.

4. Member
    Watched an FLW angler, maybe, using Bang one time...

2012 Stratos 189 VLO/150 Mercury Pro XS/MinnKota Terrova

5. #FRB
    In my experience sometimes using extra scent helps and sometimes it hurts. No different from a donut...I prefer the tried and true glazed without the extra crap on it.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

I'll use a scent when the bite seems tough, especially on a jig trailer. For jigs, i use Smelly Jelly, Bass Feast. For worms, Bang in Shad flavor ! It can sometimes really help. I spray the Bang into a bag and then coat the worms in it. NEVER spray in the open !! It makes a mess on the boat !!!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

Quote Originally Posted by electritek View Post
    Use Yum shad flavored bait spray always. Have often wondered it it's effective or a gimmick. Does it wash off? Does it work? Senior moment today. Sprayed my Yamamoto Cowboy jig trailer down real good. Made about 6 cast and had a great bite, missed the fish. Retrieved jig and trailer had slid down from double barb keeper, nose of trailer was damaged. Stupid impulse decision, bite a little bit off the nose. This stuff is the real deal. It does not wash off. Never stick in anything in your mouth that has been sprayed with this stuff. No water in boat, Nothing to get that taste outta my mouth. Think I need to call the EPA. Why would a bass eat anything that tastes like that????
    Thanks for that. That’s the best laugh I’ve had in a month. Still giggling.
    There’s no use being stupid if you’re not willing to show it off.

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by unknown angler View Post
    I remember back in the 80s all the pros were promoting some kind of scent product, Fish Formula, Riverside, Yum, and many more. Today even with all the live coverage you never see them spraying their baits with any magic potion, but they still catch fish. They do use Berkley Max Scent products quite often.
    They do use scents. They just prep most of their baits with scent by applying it in the bag. Waste of time applying it to each individual bait.

And I believe it's more to cover up human scent than it is to mimic a type of bait.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wmitch2 View Post
    Bang. NEVER spray in the open !! It makes a mess on the boat !!!
    I use Bang, bought their big spray bottle and poured it into a couple squeeze bottles with flip applicators like the ones the old Fish Formula bottles. One drop'll do ya!

11. Member
    I use it on occasion, I think it helps your bait slip through weeds better if nothing else.

I can say this about scent , we have a pond in my neighborhood that I bass fish sometimes and I can use any plastic critter made except a Gulp worm because the catfish will eat it every cast . I do like to use some type of scent .

13. Member
    I will use the garlic yellow dye for dipping pinchers on my jig trailers. I believe in the dye part works no idea about the garlic. Kinda compares to the Hyda Wave, does it really work?
    2019 Ram 5.7 Hemi Limited
    Skeeter ZX225
    2 Lowrance 12” Carbons
    1 Lowrance 9” Live
    Minn Kota Ultrex
    Yamaha 225/ Hydro Tec/ 25-T1 SHO prop/ 83mph
    2-8’ Power Poles
    12” Black Atlas Jack

14. Member
    Great morning story! Good way to start the day laughing....
    1994 Ranger 492VS
    2004 Optimax 225 - 0T920364
    6" Hydro Dynamics Manual Jack Plate
    24p Fury 4
    24v 47" Lowrance Ghost / Lowrance HDS

15. Member

Brings back a few memories, makes you want to rinse your mouth with brake fluid to get the taste out

Spray some Kick n Bass Crawfish on plastic and bite the end of the plastic off.

17. Member
    Back when I had Uncle Josh chunks and when the jig bite was on I would soak my chucks in BANG Garlic. I will tell you it made a difference. I know because people fishing with me would comment or question what I was doing different and getting more bites. As the bite faded not so much.

18. Dogfish_Jones
    I used the original Fish Formula back in the 80’s, I swear that stuff did seem to work. I caught more bass when I used that then when I did not use it.
    Today’s stuff... I have not really seen a difference in my catch ratio. Too be honest I have three different types in my boat but I rarely even use any. I might use some once every 20 trips or so and that’s when I digging through looking for a lure and I come across one that is in a baggie wrapped up.

The "Gene Larew" craws had the highest salt content back in the day. Don't ask me how I know this.
    99' 201 Pro Elite
    08' Evinrude 225 HO

Anyone remember the spittoon you put on the deck, so all you had to had drop the bait in, get a coating, and keep fishing?
    Great Idea! Most had their carpet redone!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast