Battery Chargers

So my 12 year old Guest 10A 3 bank just quit so i am in the market for a new charger. What does everybody recommend these days?

2. Member
    I’ve had good service out of Dual Pro or NOCO

Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    I’ve had good service out of Dual Pro or NOCO
    I agree with either of those, and actually I tried a "Pro Mariner" duel bank in the Old Stratos this past Summer, good price point,and seems to be a sound unit as well.

1998 Stratos 285 Pro
    1989 Evinrude XP 150(E150STLCEM)(08199802)
    2004 Ford Explorer NBX V8
    1998 Jeep XJ 4.0L V6
    House Cat named Patches
    Remington 700, Old Cooey 12 gauge, A lot of Fishing Rods
    Some tools, garden hose with outboard attachment, 3 crow decoys, 8 Track Tape player,
    A Billy Bass, and clothing from the 80's.

4. Banned
    What ever brand you get make sure it will support AGM and Gel batteries not just lead acid.
    You'll be glad you did.

5. Member
    Got a NOCO from Amazon over a year ago. Works much better than what I used to have.

NOCO GEN 3 for a good quality battery charger. It will do well cell as well as AGM. You can also mix batteries. You can have one AGM battery and two wet cell batteries or any mix of wet/AGM. The leads are hooked parallel so the charger considers each battery individually, senses what type battery it is and sends the appropriate charge profile for the particular type battery hooked to the individual lead.

If you're willing to spend the $ and want a battery management system then consider the Power Pole Charge. It's a 3 in 1 system. It a conventional battery charger, plus charge as you go when the big motor is running and also can shift power from a trolling motor battery to the cranking battery if needed. It cost a lot more than a conventional battery charger but in return it also does a lot more, which makes it the top of the food chain when it comes to keeping your batteries fully charged. It can do wet cell, AGM or Lithium.

7. Member
    Thanks for the suggestions, I have been looking and so far I really like the features and size of the noco. Since I’m about to put the boat to bed I will buy one over the winter, I’m going to see if they come out with the gen 5 in a 3 bank 10 amp. That one will do lithium and lead acids so it looks real flexible for the future. Any opinions on Minnkota chargers?

I looked at that power pole one and it looks awesome but way too spendy for my needs. I already have a minnkota charge on the run charger so I’m set there anyway. The rest of the features I doubt I would ever needed use. I have carried jumper cables in my boat for 25 years and I have never needed them. Loaned them out a lot but never needed them myself.

8. Member
    I like my MK's.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fly by night View Post
    I like my MK's.

Never had a Noco. And didn't have luck with 2 DualPro chargers. So if not Stealth 1 charging system, Minn Kota for me.

Noco for 10 yrs, works great. Light weight also.

11. Official Lip Ripper' haftafish22's Avatar
    Stay away from Minnkotta precision charger would be my only advice. Went through 4 of them via warranty and finally sold the new one that I got from warranty and took the cash and bought a dual pro. Had it for 3 years and works as it should

I had the same Guest charger as you and it served me well. When it finally gave up the ghost, I went to a MK Precision charger and have had great luck with it so far.

I had to replace the AC side of my Stealth when it was 17 years old. Danny cut me a hellava deal on it. The DC side is now 20 years old. Danny said the DC sides usually last forever.

14. Banned
    I've got a noco in one boat, minn kota in the other. Minn kota beats the noco in every category except physical size.

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ditch_Pickle View Post
    I've got a noco in one boat, minn kota in the other. Minn kota beats the noco in every category except physical size.
    Care to elaborate ? Not being snarky trying to learn myself. I mean you come in, plug in, come back next morning and batteries are charged. What are these categories ? I asked same question about the power pole charger,, I mean what does it do that a stealth, MK or troll bridge set up cant do at a 3rd or less the price ?

Quote Originally Posted by Dropdeadfred View Post
    Care to elaborate ? Not being snarky trying to learn myself. I mean you come in, plug in, come back next morning and batteries are charged. What are these categories ? I asked same question about the power pole charger,, I mean what does it do that a stealth, MK or troll bridge set up cant do at a 3rd or less the price ?
    agree, Cost, Size? what?

17. Member
    Pro Mariner Pro Tournament chargers have a lifetime warranty and do a great job.