New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar

How often should you change plugs

How often should you change plugs in a 1991 Fastrike???
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

2. Banned
    I had a 93 Fastrike, there were regular plugs and then there were the service gap plugs with no bridge over the electrode. They lasted longer but cost twice as much. They also didnt like doing much putzing around... Although at the time I pretty much just idled to warm up then run pretty hard. Pretty simple matter to pull em a couple times a year, brush em out with a wire toothbrush hit them with some crud cutter, put them back in. Start getting discolored or overly foul time for a set.
    Google 2 cycle spark plug color chart... Will give some pictures of whats what with them

3. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dropdeadfred View Post
    Pretty simple matter to pull em a couple times a year, brush em out with a wire toothbrush hit them with some crud cutter, put them back in.
    Using a metal brush to clean them can cause carbon/electrical tracking on porcelain insulator. Once they are dirty/carbon fouled/gap opening up,,,,I replace them. Just me though...
    Last edited by omcforever; 10-24-2020 at 06:20 PM.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

4. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    I replace mine every spring but thats me,,,I dont try to keep using worn plugs.

5. Member
    Surface gap plugs suck! You know what plug to use, like omcforever said, I change once a year, after a decarb.

6. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    Ok will change them out

7. Member
    I don't know if there's a specific time you need to replace them or not, if it's running good i see no need to change them. But I'd say most guys including myself change them every spring weather they need it or not, just gives us added confidence that the engine will be running at it's best.

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 316jughead View Post
    Surface gap plugs suck! You know what plug to use, like omcforever said, I change once a year, after a decarb.
    Maybe so, back in the 90's there were the latest greatest must have. I ran them in my 93 till I sold it in 2008, Lasted alot longer than the regular ones, BUT they were also more expensive. The didnt like lots of idling supposedly, but were easy to clean and no gap to mess with,. Musta fallen out of favor for some reason.. I dunno never had any reason to think they sucked.

9. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 316jughead View Post
    Surface gap plugs suck! .

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dropdeadfred View Post
    Maybe so, back in the 90's there were the latest greatest must have. I ran them in my 93 till I sold it in 2008, Lasted alot longer than the regular ones, BUT they were also more expensive. The didnt like lots of idling supposedly, but were easy to clean and no gap to mess with,. Musta fallen out of favor for some reason.. I dunno never had any reason to think they sucked.
    OK, if you say so. You had one motor you say they worked in, I worked on several that they did not work in, Not latest and greatest in the 90's, they had been out at least 15 years. They never were the first recommended plug by OMC for your motor. Here's the deal, if they worked for you, that's really all that counts.
    Last edited by 316jughead; 10-25-2020 at 10:18 PM.

11. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    I run Champions QL78YC as recommended by the Guru's

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by twitch View Post
    I run Champions QL78YC as recommended by the Guru's
    Smart man!

13. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    I ordered a set of plugs and will run these the rest of the season, and come spring will install the new ones gapped at 0.30 as recommended , thanks again for everyone who contributed you guys are the best