1998 200 EFI wants to turn over then stops cranking

Hi all,

I have a 1998 mercury 200 EFI that has given me intermittent starting issues all season. I have taken to 2 mechanics, 1 couldn’t figure it out the other claims they couldn’t replicate the issue and it started fine for them. When I turn the key the first time, it either fires right up, or cranks for about 1/2 second then stops. From there it will crank, and gets much closer to starting when I open the throttle all the way (in neutral), but right when it sounds like it’s about to light off, it stops cranking. I’ve tried spraying ether and seems to make no difference. Is there some type of safety feature where it stops cranking if the throttle is too far forward (to limit RPMs)? I’m guessing the reason it gets closer to starting with the throttle opened is flooding/choke issue. Here is what I’ve checked so far:
    - confirmed good fuel pressure
    - confirmed good spark
    - new spark plugs
    - checked bleed valves
    - good compression
    - fresh gas
    It feels like it’s something electrical with stopping the motor from cranking prematurely before it’s running. Once it’s going it runs fine. Bit of a rough idle at first sometimes but after that it’s fine. Is there a simple way to bypass any safety feature related to throttle position to confirm that’s the issue?
    Thanks,
    Pat

2. Member
    Does the starter continue to spin without turning over the motor? Is so,the motor probably pops once and kicks out the starter drive, This calls for replacing parts or all of the starter drive.

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor