Shoot or Pass Opening Day Doe? What would you do?

I was lucky enough to find a prime area on the local public land and was not let down with a decent buck that showed up early in the morning, however he was way out of range. So I decided to move a bit closer to where I saw the buck come out and not long after a nice doe popped out within bow range...I watched her for a bit hoping that the buck would be following, or he would show back up a bit later...unfortunately neither happened. Just wondering what others would have done? Definitely not upset with the choice to pass on the doe...but definitely curious what others would doin similar situations.

2. Member
    I would always shoot a few doe or spikes to get some meat early in the season. 2 if they were big or 3 if they were small. Then I would not shoot anything else unless it was a very nice buck.

3. Banned
    Depends on what you call a nice doe, and what your goals are. Trophy ? meat ? I will be black powder harvesting soon.. deer population in my area is too high and too easy for me to call it hunting. I look at it as owning grazing meat goats that can eat my neighbors corn and vegetables without getting him mad at me.

Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    I would always shoot a few doe or spikes to get some meat early in the season. 2 if they were big or 3 if they were small. Then I would not shoot anything else unless it was a very nice buck.
    That was my plan originally...get the first meat in the freezer then hold out for a nice buck...then I strayed after seeing the buck so early and the sign in the area. I will be out all next week, so still plenty of chances...but the woods have been hit pretty hard...lots of bow hunters this year

Quote Originally Posted by Dropdeadfred View Post
    Depends on what you call a nice doe, and what your goals are. Trophy ? meat ? I will be black powder harvesting soon.. deer population in my area is too high and too easy for me to call it hunting. I look at it as owning grazing meat goats that can eat my neighbors corn and vegetables without getting him mad at me.
    LOL...sounds like a rough problem to have :) Good luck down there in Southern VA....I will be continuing to fight the public land peeps up here in the Northern part of the state :)

6. Moderator
    I was taught to kill the first legal thing you see at the beginning of the season. That way you have killed something no matter what and have some meat in the freezer. I don’t do that with small bucks but definitely would have killed a doe. In fact I killed the first doe that passed in now range this year and let a real nice 8pt walk about 4 hours ago.

I'm more of meat hunter so taking a Doe would be fine by me. We have been fortunate the last few years and my 14 year old son has taken a early Doe for us. I did pas on 2 small bucks last week and had a good 8 this past weekend hang up at 50 yards. But to be honest if a Doe would have come by that morning probably would have taken her then hunted for a bigger deer.

For me, would depend on whether bucks are actively seeking does. If so, I would hold out. If not, to the freezer!
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

I've got more meat in my freezer left over from the last 2 years than I'll eat this year...and I'll add to that this year...never ending thing for me... On my hunting club I never shoot does with spotted fawns...I always try to wait until they at least get the spots off of them before I kill a doe... There's enough coyotes up there on that place that I need to give them a better shot of survival then that..I can kill does later on in the season with a rifle I don't need to shoot them right now.. It's a long season..
    MattandAmber Lawler on Facebook
    Matt Lawler HF on Facebook
    matt_lawler_hf on Instagram

"There ain't a price on stupid. Stupid comes for free."

Jonathan Hillstrand

10. Michigan Bass Club Moderator CGWright's Avatar
    My goal is 10 point or better (or BIG 8). I can shoot does anytime if I don't connect on a nice buck. But I hunt heavily populated property too.

To report any post you disagree with press Alt + F4.

11. Member
    I would have waited for a following buck. No question.

Always interesting to see so many different opinions and thoughts. This was the first time I let a doe walk like that, so was interested in what other hunters thought.

When I was younger I would wait especially on opening day. Now I am content to get one and Be done with it. I usually will sit in the stand and watch nature for a few days if I get one early
    Enjoying life in Southern Illinois

As long as you have tags, a doe is good

15. Member
    I would take a doe any day. I'm not into trophy hunting, a good butter ball doe tastes much better than an old grizzled buck. But that's just me.

16. Member
    i made mistake of shooting a doe early season about 35 years ago, her little baby come out after i shot her and stood by his moma for two hours, i had to run him off, hunted that stand several times later every day that fawn came looking for his moma, i shoot no more doe

17. Member
    I tend to shoot does later in the year after the rut. Fawns are old enough to fend for themselves and does are usually in groups of 8-12 so you can take out a bigger freezer filler.