Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Squam or Newfound this week?

Tentatively headed up Wednesday. Winni appears to be running around 55 deg now. Any suggestions on starting depth and/or things to be on the lookout for? -- Thanks!

2. Member
    My vote is newfound.

3. Member
    Went to Newfound twice this past week, Tuesday and Friday. Water is still warm at 57-58. Both days were overcast and dead slick calm with rain on Tuesday and a steady misting drizzle most of Friday. I saw TONS of bass up shallow, marked fish and bait anywhere from 20-55 feet, but for the life of me, I couldn't figure out what the hell it would take to get them to bite. I threw just about everything I own in my boat, even went with a blade bait, and couldn't get more than 4 on Tuesday and 2 on Friday. Drop shot is basically useless, either that or they just didn't like the 20 different baits that I tried. Only thing I wish I had tried, if I had one, was a good sized glide bait.

Tuesday I got all of them on a 3.5" swimbait slooooow dragged with long pauses on a 3/8 oz football jig. Friday one was on that same bait, and I managed to get one to bite a chatterbait up in a few feet of water.

I'll put it this way. Newfound is my favorite lake in the whole damn state, and I won't go back there again this fall. She's always been notoriously fickle this time of the year, and it's even worse this year. May just be bad luck for timing and/or weather on my part, I can't say. I'm just frustrated by the lack of success I've had there all year. I'm usually good for 10+ over 4 lbs there every year, and I haven't caught one that big yet this season.

Well now you have to go to Newfound.
    Went to Robinsons pond today. Water temp 58-60.
    Bunch of little ones and a 2 pound lg all on a keitech.
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 603bass View Post
    Newfound is my favorite lake in the whole damn state, and I won't go back there again this fall.
    Can't lie, I was hoping for better news from your corner!

Hoping for a jerkbait bite..

6. Member
    I dont think I would waste my gas money to drive north after hearing those reports. Fished a little local pond yesterday in the yak and caught the hell out of them on a MB trick darter.

7. Member
    Went to Newfound this morning but didn't stay long. It was blowing good and i just didn't want to deal with it like that. Water was 49 to 50 early morning. Saw plenty of bait and got a couple right off the back down at 45' to 50'. I would have liked to have put in more time but was not feeling it.
    2004 Ranger 521VX with 2019 Evinrude G2 250 H.O.

Went to Newfound last Thursday and basically tossed a spinnerbait most of the day as they didn’t seem to want anything slow. Caught half a dozen or so, all over 4 lbs. Ran into a wolf pack of big ones off a sand drop and had 6 or 7 of them come up with the one I had on. So I stuck around...

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim R View Post
    Went to Newfound last Thursday and basically tossed a spinnerbait most of the day as they didn’t seem to want anything slow. Caught half a dozen or so, all over 4 lbs. Ran into a wolf pack of big ones off a sand drop and had 6 or 7 of them come up with the one I had on. So I stuck around...
    I worked that same area for 3 hours the next day, and we only got 1 bite, I caught it on a chatterbait. Probably shouldn't have spent so much time in one spot, but can't say I didn't try!

3 hours in one spot with 1 fish .. you certainly do not have the ADD issues I have

11. Member
    Wednesday's looking like a cool start, not much wind up there. Water temp should be above 50 - might be the perfect time to hit them Are the outhouses still out of commision?

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryT View Post
    3 hours in one spot with 1 fish .. you certainly do not have the ADD issues I have
    In all seriousness, it's something I've really worked on the last few years, being patient and making sure I thoroughly work an area I feel confident in...or that I know someone else already has done well at recently, lol. My problem this year and last year is now spending too much time in one spot specifically when smallmouth fishing. There are times I'm better off running and gunning til I find the more productive areas, rather than hammering one spot trying to force something to work. Some schools just do not want to play on some days, regardless of what you throw at them.

Quote Originally Posted by bassboat1 View Post
    Wednesday's looking like a cool start, not much wind up there. Water temp should be above 50 - might be the perfect time to hit them Are the outhouses still out of commision?
    Yea unfortunately they have closed the main bathroom all year, and they just removed the two port-a-potties sometime between Tuesday and Friday last week, so there's no more bathrooms anywhere on the lake that I know of. Nearest one is at the gas station back in Bristol.

13. Member

14. Member
    That's a proper throne! Waiting on my buddy to show up, then northbound. Not super pleased about the weather...fish might get wet.

Good luck.
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

16. Moderator
    Good smallie weather.

17. Member
    I would agree.
    Red Sox in 6!

18. Member
    Almost joined you up there today. Allergies decided to be a mega pain in the butt yesterday and flare up bad while doing the last mow of the season, so took some benadryl and may have fallen asleep from 930pm-9am...

Let us know how you do though. I'm going out somewhere on Friday. Long story on the why, but Friday is the only day I can fish with these two gentlemen and it's definitely in my best interest not to screw this up, lol. I'm thinking if the snow holds off, I'll go deep for smallies and hope the cold front doesn't shut them down...

19. Member
    Got up there a little after 8:00, fished until 2:00. Rained the entire time, breeze was light. Started out on the west side of Whittemore point with various crankbaits out to 16', worked out to 40' with a 3" swimbait on a 1 oz underspin. Had multiple loons on the point, diving out in 40'+. Also fished @ Blue Moon and a couple of spots in front of the camps, concentrating on 25'-45' with a 1/2 oz Silver Buddy. Sonar showed plenty of bait in all areas, right on the bottom from 40'-45', with a few single gamefish returns @ the same depth. Never saw anything on the sonar shallower than 30'. Did Not Get a Single Bite All Day.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassboat1 View Post
    Got up there a little after 8:00, fished until 2:00. Rained the entire time, breeze was light. Started out on the west side of Whittemore point with various crankbaits out to 16', worked out to 40' with a 3" swimbait on a 1 oz underspin. Had multiple loons on the point, diving out in 40'+. Also fished @ Blue Moon and a couple of spots in front of the camps, concentrating on 25'-45' with a 1/2 oz Silver Buddy. Sonar showed plenty of bait in all areas, right on the bottom from 40'-45', with a few single gamefish returns @ the same depth. Never saw anything on the sonar shallower than 30'. Did Not Get a Single Bite All Day.
    Ouch. Sounds about right though. So between your day, and the two days that I went, the weather was the exact same. The one day that Jim R went was sunny I believe...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast