Thread: Best a rig

Best a rig

overall Is gfunk worth the money? Any lighter (but strong) wire one you recommend?

Any input on heads or 30 vs 60 vs 90 degree line tie?

Thank you
    Where are the BIG ones? When are we going?
    LOOKING for a Great deal on a Slightly used 20-21' Boat.

2. Member
    Fish a lot of A-Rig here in winter. I have always had good luck with the Picasso brand. The Bait Ball in particular. I just purchased my first Hog Farmer. Anxious to try it out. I always use the Picasso tungsten ballheads/weedless. Almost always go with the 1/8oz size unless I need a 1/4 to make my rig balance up and run correctly. Fish on 20# flouro and have never had a big fish straighten a hook. They are a 90 degree. No issues. We are a 3 "live" hook state. That middle wire must be longer. And I almost always make the bait on that one "unique." Now, you have bigger fish down there. That may cause you to "bulk" up.
    2017 Phoenix 618Pro

3. Member
    Hog Farmer is all I've been using. I use the BFL rig or mini rig but I'm mostly fishing for smallies. I'm sure others may have a different opinion when it comes to heads but I don't think it makes a difference. I use 90 deg ball heads a lot but have used Dirty Jigs 30 deg too. Never noticed a difference in hook ups. When they're eating the A-rig up here they're just eating it.

4. Member
    ANDY POSSS original A Rig. Everything else is a copy.

5. Member
    Ive tried a bunch and the 2 ive had the best luck with are hog farmer and the big daddy baits dayton boat dock tn rig. Choose the wires and blades to your liking but those 2 brands have never let me down while ive had others break arms, straighten swivels and stuff. I wanna know when i set the hook that the fish wont be coming off due to an a rig failure. I throw a 1/8 oz or 1/4oz if i wanna get it deeper 6th sense core x swimbait head. Theyre light enough i can sometimes straighten them with a lure retriever but heavy enough ive never had a fish straighten one and ive caught some big stripers on them
    They aint got hands, set the hook

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by T. Dixon View Post
    Sometimes the copy is better lol

7. Member
    Any rod you highly recommend for an a rig? Thank you
    Where are the BIG ones? When are we going?
    LOOKING for a Great deal on a Slightly used 20-21' Boat.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by T. Dixon View Post
    Used umbrella rigs for blue fish and striped bass back in the 70's so who's a copy.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigguyone View Post
    Any rod you highly recommend for an a rig? Thank you
    a lot of that will depend on what youre throwing. If youre throwing a 3 wire with 1/8oz heads you can get by with a lot lighter rod than if youre throwing a 5 wire with 1/4oz heads. We’ll throw a 5 wire 20-30’ and i want a little more beef than if i were throwing a 3 wire 5-10’ deep. I prefer a heavier rod because it seems not to wear on me as bad after throwing it for 8 hours. Its also a rod i dont feel like you need as much “feel” as you do with other rods since they typically freight train it when they hit and its hung if you get it close to the bottom. I throw a dobyns fury 7’9 MH swimbait rod and its served the purpose quite nice. Its also a rod that gets run through the ringer throwing that big bait so its not something i wanted to spend a bunch on for the relatively short amount of time we throw it
    They aint got hands, set the hook