Megabass destroyer Valdivia

Looking at getting this rod. Have also looked at the fmj but I like the extra length and extra fast action of the Valdivia. I know it’s labeled as a frog rod but have read it’s way more than that. I’m planning on using it for 1/2-3/4oz football jigs and 3/4 Carolina rigs. Is this the rod? How does it compare in sensitivity to a Dobyns champion extreme?

You will like it for that quite a bit. Its extremely sensitive and transmits very well.

3. Member
    What’s the length?
    Red Sox in 6!

Quote Originally Posted by Phrog Phil View Post
    What’s the length?

7' 6"

5. Member
    I recently picked one up for frogs for next year and I am very impressed with the weight of the rod and like all my other megabass rods the anesthetics are on point.. can't wait to see what it can do .. only thing is I don't know is will it do both walking frogs ans buzzing frogs or will I need another rod for one technique
    07 tracker TX 190
    75 horse Mercury
    999 KVD, 859 , and 798 SI HD

Quote Originally Posted by NRXfever View Post
    I recently picked one up for frogs for next year and I am very impressed with the weight of the rod and like all my other megabass rods the anesthetics are on point.. can't wait to see what it can do .. only thing is I don't know is will it do both walking frogs ans buzzing frogs or will I need another rod for one technique

It can handle both types but I like a shorter rod and a lighter action rod for buzzfrogs. I usually use the Diablo Spec R for buzz frogs.

7. Member
    Thanks for the info Mark I was kinda thinking the same but wanted to hear other opinions also.. and as for the op.. I have reason many reviews it is a phenomenal jig rod
    07 tracker TX 190
    75 horse Mercury
    999 KVD, 859 , and 798 SI HD

8. Member
    Use mine for big frogs and love it. Bombs casts and lays the wood, it's bigger so walking can be tougher, but it's more for a slop/mat frog....and that's not really a walking deal.

Would be great for heavy jigs, carolina rigs and/or lighter flipping duty. Actually may turn it into a 3/4 oz. flipping jig setup. Great stick.

The Valdiva is a better jig rod than a frog rod in my opinion. Sure, it'll handle heavy cover frogs just fine, I prefer a different action for a heavy cover frog rod myself. Your plan is right in line with where the Valdiva shines - 1/2 to 1 oz jigs shallow to deep, heavy cover to open, deep water. C-rigs are fine on there too. Enjoy the rod!