Thread: 52 inch Ultrex

Question 52 inch Ultrex

I’m looking for a Cat and I do fish some bigger water. Not going to get a Jaguar, but would like to know if anyone has put a 52 inch shaft Ultrex on the 20ft class Cats. I just drove my buddy’s 2019 Cougar FTD for the first time and that seems to be an issue. He has the 45inch and it doesn’t seem like a 52 inch would allow the rod box lid to open. Looking for some input. Thanks.

PS- That Cougar with that V8 is nasty!!! Loved the ride, the speed and the handling. I hope the other 20ft class Cats have the same type of feel, especially if they would accommodate the 52 inch better.
    Chris Malczewski
    Baltimore, MD

I have a 52" Ultrex on my 2018 Eyra. With the head all the way down I can open my rod box. Had a 2006 Puma with a 52" Fortrex and with the head all the way down I could open the rod box.

I had a 13 Puma FTD with the 52 Ultrex, even with the head raised and stowed you can still get in the rod locker. It just won't open all the way, but it's not a problem

4. Member
    52” on my 15 Cougar, rod locker lid hits the trolling motor
    head when opened, but it is a non issue. Still plenty of room to get rods out.
    2020 Triton TRX19- Mercury 225 ProXs 4s
    Solix 12 MSI Console, Solix 12MDI Bow
    Helix 9 Mega 360 Bow
    Garmin 106sv Livescope Bow
    Ultrex, Dual 8' Power Pole Blades
    2022 Silverado
    Member of Skoolin' Bass Anglers and Wolf River Bass Club

5. Member
    52 inch on 18 lynx and no issue. Rod locker just barely touches head if trolling motor is stowed but it slides right past without harm. When I say barely I mean fibers just brush it.

Get the 52 and don't look back if you fish big water.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brett87tex View Post
    52 inch on 18 lynx and no issue. Rod locker just barely touches head if trolling motor is stowed but it slides right past without harm. When I say barely I mean fibers just brush it.
    That was my thought. Try a lynx on a test ride. I swear I’m test riding every boat I am interested in. I have had a few that I’m just not 100% satisfied with. I want to test a lynx. How is it with speed, rough water, does it walk a lot? What motor are you running? I think I would like the layout. Just wanna know what I’m getting before I commit yo buying this time?
    Chris Malczewski
    Baltimore, MD

8. Member
    Thanks for all the replies. Would a 2019 or newer cougar have an issue? If anyone has one...
    Chris Malczewski
    Baltimore, MD

Quote Originally Posted by indadark View Post
    Thanks for all the replies. Would a 2019 or newer cougar have an issue? If anyone has one...

yes - same floor plan.

I have a Puma with a 45. Never an issue in big water, but I’m not fishing Sinclair or Erie.

if you want a 52 get it.

you can still get in the rod box with no issue. The head unit is high and gives enough room to get in even if you can’t fully open the lid.
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

That was my thought. Try a lynx on a test ride. I swear I’m test riding every boat I am interested in. I have had a few that I’m just not 100% satisfied with. I want to test a lynx. How is it with speed, rough water, does it walk a lot? What motor are you running? I think I would like the layout. Just wanna know what I’m getting before I commit yo buying this time?
    I'm running an '18 Lynx, rough water ride is incredible, storage is fantastic, speed is at least mid 70s at sea level. I'm running a 250 SHO, you will need to drive it once you're over 70. Get in one with an experienced driver.

11. Member
    52” on my Caracal and love it.
    2018 Bass Cat Caracal
    Yamaha 225 SHO

12. Member
    I am running a verado pro four stroke 300 hp on my lynx basscat. Rough water is awesome. I will say 4 blade bravo has made my boat amazing. Crazy fast for me. With worked 3 blade fury im around the 81-82mph. With the4 blade bravo 1 fs prop I’m around 78 but the mid acceleration and hole shot is very good. Way better than 3 blade when livewells full and 2 fishermen. The amount of storage in the boat is impressive. The depth of the inside is impressive. It’s a big boat but with the 300 feels more like a rocket.

13. Member
    The only Cat that you will have a problem with the rod storage lid opening all the way is on a Puma or Cougar FTD. The others are OK. Even on an Eyra. Personally if fishing big water you will want the 52" shaft. As far as the Lynx...As said above great riding big boat with a ton of storage. It is also not a slouch when it comes to top end speed. Mine 2021 Lynx runs anywhere between 74-78 depending on the load with 250 Mercury 4s Pro XS. It'll be a touch faster when the weather cools more.

14. Member
    Love the comments. Learning more and more everyday. It is hard for me to find a dealer nearby with anything in stock. So test rides are hard to come by. I appreciate all the input and this BassCat family seems to be pretty cool. I like it. Leaning this way heavily. Keep the comments coming and thanks.
    Chris Malczewski
    Baltimore, MD

15. Member
    Chris,
    ive owned two Lynx, and now a 2021 Jaguar.
    if I can answer any questions on the Lynx, please let me know.
    Mike Whitten

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mdwhitten View Post
    Chris,
    ive owned two Lynx, and now a 2021 Jaguar.
    if I can answer any questions on the Lynx, please let me know.
    Mike Whitten
    Yessir. I will PM you and maybe we can talk a bit more. Thanks

Really want to know about the hole shot (what motor did you run)
    Does it walk at higher speeds? (I’ve had a few comments about that)
    Rough water ride?
    Chris Malczewski
    Baltimore, MD

17. Member
    Had a 52" Ultrex on my 2016 Cougar when I bought it. It was way too big/heavy and in the way - for me. I immediately removed it and put a 45" on there.

However, I have zero need for the 52" in the places I fish.
    2023 Puma STS