? for the whiskey drinkers

Have any of you tried this? I wonder if it would work on moonshine?https://www.bentwoodspirits.com/?fbc...nBrogq5ebMGjN4

2. Member
    I have not tried it. I prefer professionally made whiskey. I guess if you got some tax free whiskey or you make your own white dog it might be worth a try?

Sounds like the Banjo Minnow of Whisky.

I would prefer the real thing.

5. Member
    Seems very gimmicky...basically the same thing happens when you leave fruit in a neutral Spirit, the flavor gets infused. They just figured away to capture the bourbon/whiskey taste and added different fruit flavors.

6. Member
    My friend has a port barrel and puts whiskey in it to flavor it, comes out really tasty.

Dripping Springs, Texas and Wahpeton, Iowa
    Quote Originally Posted by Crabnbass View Post
    Sounds like the Banjo Minnow of Whisky.

That discouraged me from even thinking about opening that link thanks for the warning

8. Member
    Yep, Kind of like using liquid smoke on your BBQ.

9. Member
    Just buy what you like.
    Praying for a Cure

Maker’s Mark had something similar at their distillery. Looked like square toothpicks, that were different smoke infused flavors.
    Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day

Teach a man to fish, he will complain that you stole his fishing spot.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Toypuller View Post
    Maker’s Mark had something similar at their distillery. Looked like square toothpicks, that were different smoke infused flavors.
    This thread is about whiskey not whisky.

12. Member
    That is the biggest load of crap ever. The flavor and color of the whiskey (and yes whiskey & whisky are both acceptable spellings) comes from the aging process where changes in temperature and humidity draw the liquid into and back out of the staves in the barrel. I don't care what they say, 24 to 36 hours is not going to create the same taste profile. However, there will be some doofuses who swear it makes white dog taste like 23 year old Pappy.

I have not tried those. My wife got me a
    peanut butter bourbon. It’s ok. But I like the real thing better

14. Member
    Looks interesting. I know the color and some flavor could be done shortly, but I have a hard time believing it can do in 36 hours what usually takes 12 to 18 years.

15. Member
    These have been around in a lot of different versions. These will not age whiskey as much as they will oak it. Depending on the size you could end up with a lot more surface area than a barrel which can cause over oaking. Aging involves a lot of aspects. Aging is as much science as it is art, with these staves you miss a lot of what makes aging work. Oxidation is a big part of that so you miss out on the changes that take place over time and exposure to oxygen. What they will do is know the edge off of young un-aged spirits and add some oak flavoring but nothing like a full size barrel would do. i have used things like this in J. Wray and Nephew overproof rum as an experiment to see what it does to it since it is very funky un-aged Hogo Jamaican Rum, and it melloed it out. Another thing to keep in mind in most store bought whiskey is not going to be barrel proof and proof plays a big role in what the oak does to the spirit. If you want to read more on ageing here is a good paper on ageing in nontraditional size barrels that sheds some light on the process as well as what happens when you have a larger square area of wood.

http://bourbonr.com/blog/wp-content/...NAL-VOLUME.pdf