Overrun with shad!

What do you throw when your lake is overrun with the 2 1/2 -3 inch shad. On Pickwick this time of year I used to throw the net for shad but have not in the last 10 years. After yesterday I remember why I did. Caught a few, but it was a lot of work for a few fish with no small mouth. Week before was good, but there I saw a lot more shad and had a lot less bites yesterday.
    On a brighter note I did not see any Asian carp the last 2 weeks.

2. Banned
    mighta got me as well last time,, I went to an area of lake I hadnt been and did new stuff, caught nothing. Saw a few guys fishing saying same thing. One cove and creek mouth I checked was teaming with schools of bait fish about 2-3 inch long, some getting busted but always out of cast range, might have been stripers.
    Main lake was a complete deadzone, flat as can be little to no moveemnt,, hit some of my usually productive areas and notta.
    Soo I either totally suck,, or they were all fat on abundant bait, or the high bluebird day had em off, OR and I am going with this one, getting large Hydrilla die off, and 02 level is low, plus lake was lower than I have ever seen.

3. Member
    Keitech on an underspin. 5” bullshad. Rig.
    Murray State Alum
    2007 Champion 210 with all the toys

1/4 or 3/8 oz silver Kastmaster, hit one side of the spoon with white paint, replace the worthless treble they come with with a white or chartreuse mylar dressed treble. Work it just beneath the the surface with a herky-jerky action, let it drop every 10 feet or so for a second. No guarantees, but I catch a lot of bass chasing small shad on the Kastmaster in the fall.

5. Member
    If I find a big school of em back in a creek, I'll burn a squarebill through em. Burn, burn, burn, pause. Usually results in success. Especially for spots. Had a really nice one just the other day.
    I came on a school of threadfin the other day that was so large and visible that I actually got my phone and videoed them. Unreal.
    2017 Phoenix 618Pro

Quote Originally Posted by TableRock55 View Post
    If I find a big school of em back in a creek, I'll burn a squarebill through em. Burn, burn, burn, pause. Usually results in success. Especially for spots. Had a really nice one just the other day.
    I came on a school of threadfin the other day that was so large and visible that I actually got my phone and videoed them. Unreal.
    There are all over the place in the upper White, but they are all about 3/4" in length. But man there are a lot of them.

7. Member
    1/4 or 3/8 oz silver Kastmaster, I have caught fish in the past using small jigging spoons. On the main lake the wind was blowing like crazy so I went to the creeks. To shallow mostly for a spoon but I will need to dig them back out. As for the square bill I will load up a high speed real and give it a try.