Relief Shading - Garmin LakeVü g3 Ultra HD

I subscribed to the Navionics Mobile App because I really like the Relief Shading feature. I have 2 Echomaps (93+ and 106 UHD) with the built in LakeVü maps, which are fine. I am on the fence about spending the money to upgrade to g3 Ultra. My home lake fluctuates, so the ability to change water level sounds great, but I can't justify the cost on that alone. If the Relief Shading in the LakeVü g3 Ultra is close to Navionics Relief Shading, I will likely pull the trigger.

Does anyone know how the Relief Shading in the LakeVü g3 Ultra compares to Navionics??? Any pics to compare?

Thanks in advance.

2. Member
    Need to go to lakes.garmin. Research the lakes that you fish and see if the features are included. I got the ultra as a gift and a lot of the lakes I fish don’t have all the ultra features but the ones that do it works very well. The main reason I wanted it was for dynamic lake level. A lot of the lakes I fish here in California can fluctuate 150+ feet annually and the dynamic lake level goes to 99.9’. So until they come back up 50’+ it’s kinda useless to me. So research before you buy.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BASStard6344 View Post
    Need to go to lakes.garmin. Research the lakes that you fish and see if the features are included. I got the ultra as a gift and a lot of the lakes I fish don’t have all the ultra features but the ones that do it works very well. The main reason I wanted it was for dynamic lake level. A lot of the lakes I fish here in California can fluctuate 150+ feet annually and the dynamic lake level goes to 99.9’. So until they come back up 50’+ it’s kinda useless to me. So research before you buy.
    Thanks. I know my home lake has relief shading with g3Ultra . I am interested to know how the g3 Ultra Shading compares to Navionics shading - i.e., is the g3 Ultra relief shading the same/comparable to the Navionics relief shading?

Thanks for the heads-up on the 100' limit. Once my home lake hits 60' down, I am likely headed somewhere else so I should be ok there.
    Last edited by cldtx; 10-26-2020 at 11:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cldtx View Post
    Thanks. I know my home lake has relief shading with g3Ultra . I am interested to know how the g3 Ultra Shading compares to Navionics shading - i.e., is the g3 Ultra relief shading the same/comparable to the Navionics relief shading?

Thanks for the heads-up on the 100' limit. Once my home lake hits 60' down, I am likely headed somewhere else so I should be ok there.
    What specific lakes are you interested in?
    Garmin Pro Team

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Driscoll View Post
    What specific lakes are you interested in?
    Travis, LBJ, & Fayette are the ones that I am interested in from the list of Ultra lakes. Bastrop, Decker, & Inks are some of the others that don't appear to be on the list of the Ultra lakes. That said, my place is on Travis, so that is the focus.
    Last edited by cldtx; 10-30-2020 at 09:21 AM.

At Travis, the coverage is essentially the same now. The only difference is that Navionics attaches satellite imagery on land with the relief shading layer.

LakeTravisHRS1.JPG
    LakeTravisHRS2.JPG
    LakeTravisHRS3.JPG
    Garmin Pro Team

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Driscoll View Post
    At Travis, the coverage is essentially the same now. The only difference is that Navionics attaches satellite imagery on land with the relief shading layer.
    Perfect. Thanks!