Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Both are a must for me up here in Wisconsin- too much variation in different bodies of water/fishing styles to have one or the other.
    2020 Triton TRX19- Mercury 225 ProXs 4s
    Solix 12 MSI Console, Solix 12MDI Bow
    Helix 9 Mega 360 Bow
    Garmin 106sv Livescope Bow
    Ultrex, Dual 8' Power Pole Blades
    2022 Silverado
    Member of Skoolin' Bass Anglers and Wolf River Bass Club

Only bad thing about spot lock in shallow water say less than 6ft is prop wash will spook fish more . I like power poles for the stealthy approach less than 6ft.
    Kevin R. Brown
    2020 Bass Cat Cougar
    2020 250 Mercury Pro XS 4-Stroke
    Mega Live & Mega 360
    Ionic Lithum Batteries
    1999 Bass Cat Jaguar
    99 Mercury 250efi

I sold a boat that had poles and no ultrex. Bought a boat with an ultrex and no poles. After the third time out, I bought poles. I could do without the ultrex before poles, but it is nice to have both.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kylemoodie View Post
    Both are a must for me up here in Wisconsin- too much variation in different bodies of water/fishing styles to have one or the other.
    I'm in Michigan and fish big water as well as big and small rivers = current. Plus, as soon as postspawn is done I fish deeper waters. If I had to keep one it would definitely be spot lock.
    But if I fished mostly shallow water less than 6 feet all year or so then it would be the anchors.

5. Member
    There are different needs for both but I don't have power poles and sometimes wish I had them...LOL If it were a choice of either, would go with the TM capability but understand that could be different if you only fish shallow. Majority of my time is in deeper water.

I've got both and If I HAD to get rid of one it would be the poles, but I certainly wouldn't WANT to do that. The Poles are great for docking without having to me around with ropes and I would never try to work on a bed fish with the Ultrex constantly turning and blowing propwash at the fish.

7. Member
    Have both but would definitely keep the poles if I had to get rid of one. Honestly, I haven't been super impressed with the Ultrex and probably wouldn't get another.

8. Member
    I have neither but I have been in far more situations that I wished I had a Power Pole than than there has been where I wanted a Spot lock trolling motor. LOL

9. Member
    Will never give up my poles, I don't use them as much as I used to when I first got them. I really like the spot lock in the trolling motor for fishing windy points and off shore brush piles.
    John the Garage Doorman

10. Member
    I use both in the same trip frequently. Last boat I had I didn't think I needed poles. New boat has both I won't be without again.

2018 Ranger z520L
    2020 250 Pro XS
    2B694324

No way they are separate tools .

12. Member
    I am primarily a shallow water fisherman....Would the 8 foot poles work out for me or Would guys find the 8 foot models are too short and are better off with 10?

13. Member
    I have both... I would sell my power poles in a heartbeat only time I use them is when I have to go to the bank and take a dump

14. Member
    Believe it or not, but I've used them at the same time. Fishing in a river where the current is flowing opposite a 20+ mile an hour wind. I put one pole down and turned spot lock on. It worked great and held the boat without it trying to swap ends due to the wind. It was too deep for both poles to touch.

15. Member
    my poles basically only get used at the dock, but they are convenient as hell at the dock..... if they didnt come on the boat i bought, i wouldnt have them.

16. Banned
    How come no one ever talks about planing issues or loss of MPH in these topics?
    I mean we see them posted separate in other topics but never in this kind of topic.
    For the avg guy reading this it would be nice to share before he buys something and then has issues.

17. Member
    I had PPs on my old boat, never used them except for docking. Did not get them on my new Bass Cat. $3500 dock anchor. If you fish flats into the wind, spotlock prop wash is always behind the boat.

18. Member
    I use both and wont use spotlock under 10 ft. The one thing about spotlock for me is that it doesn't stop me right where I am with the precision I want when I'm shallow. Fishing a tidal river with a lot of wind means waiting for the Ultrex to spin around and face the current or wind and situate itself which blows out any shallow spot.

19. Scraps
    Bof'em. Don't wanna spook shallow fish with spot lock.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

20. Member
    I have had both and have no interest in powerpoles again. I would immediately replace my Ultrex if it quit working.

But I fish deep and mostly in lakes where my boat is seldom if ever in less than 15 foot of water--more often than not I am sitting in 20-25.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast