Thread: Ice Rod Blanks

Ice Rod Blanks

I’ll be making a few ice fishing rods next month and plan on 2 perch/panfish rods and a smelt rod. I’m leaning towards the BassKhang rod blanks but are there any others that would be a good choice? I really like the Frabill Quick tip blanks and would like to lean more towards that type of taper if possible
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

BassKhang is the way to go in my opinion. The blanks are super high quality and very, very reasonable. I don't believe he has any actions that quite match the quick tip, but I used to be a huge fan of the Frabill Quick Tip blanks and have left them all alone since I started building on his blanks. The Panfish Noodle gets you headed in the right direction, and the Power Noodle also makes a great stick. It also seems he's dialed back the very tip section on the Power Noodle a bit more with a new generation since I've built on one, so it may be even closer to the quick tip action you're wanting. I'd go Power Noodle if it were me.

For what it's worth, if you're thinking of building a more responsive rod for the arsenal, I'd stay away from the perch carbon for a perch and panfish rod; for me it's perfect for an all around walleye rod (maybe a bit light for the bigger lead spoons you'd use for 'eyes though definitely handles them well), but a touch too heavy for everyday panfish use. Go with the panfish carbon for your panfish and perch rod, again if you do want something more responsive. Not sure what type of power you'd want on a smelt rod as I've never fished those, but I think the above should help get you calibrated.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

3. Member
    Awesome thanks for the info! As always, you’re a wealth of information!
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp