Thread: Ceramic Coating

Ceramic Coating

Has anyone ever dealt with ceramic coating before on a boat? My brother just has his car done and it seems like it should be awesome. The guy that done it said it had a 5 year warranty. I’m for sure going to get my truck done and get him to undercoat it too. Just wondering if anyone has tried it on their boats yet?
    2016 Stratos 201xl Evolution 250 Pro XS

Kevin R. Brown
    2020 Bass Cat Cougar
    2020 250 Mercury Pro XS 4-Stroke
    Mega Live & Mega 360
    Ionic Lithum Batteries
    1999 Bass Cat Jaguar
    99 Mercury 250efi

3. Banned
    Mothers CMX spray ceramic about $20 a bottle use it once a month and get the same results spray on, buff, and done. Did ceramic coating on my better half Challenger a couple times at a local detail shop $350 for complete detail and a coat of ceramic wax. He told me about the mothers stuff been using it ever since on the car, truck, and boat.

4. Member
    Unlike an automobile, bass oats can be subjected to extreme water spot environments. Most lakes have minerals, so water that leaves any water deposits on the boat can result in lots of water spots especially in the summer and on dark surfaces (e.g. motor cowlings). I have applied high end ceramic coatings on two boats and they both immediately got water spots. I do use ceramic coatings on my SUV and truck and they do hold up very well. Every time I use my boat I spray those surfaces that typically get water spots (e.g motor cowling) with a 50% water and 50% vinegar spray. It works great.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by John__S View Post
    Unlike an automobile, bass oats can be subjected to extreme water spot environments. Most lakes have minerals, so water that leaves any water deposits on the boat can result in lots of water spots especially in the summer and on dark surfaces (e.g. motor cowlings). I have applied high end ceramic coatings on two boats and they both immediately got water spots. I do use ceramic coatings on my SUV and truck and they do hold up very well. Every time I use my boat I spray those surfaces that typically get water spots (e.g motor cowling) with a 50% water and 50% vinegar spray. It works great.
    Agree with this, although my boat is aluminum

Quote Originally Posted by jarhead175 View Post
    Mothers CMX spray ceramic about $20 a bottle use it once a month and get the same results spray on, buff, and done. Did ceramic coating on my better half Challenger a couple times at a local detail shop $350 for complete detail and a coat of ceramic wax. He told me about the mothers stuff been using it ever since on the car, truck, and boat.
    I thought the purpose of the ceramic is to offer long lasting protection. If you have to re-apply every month what's the point? I must be missing something.
    99' 201 Pro Elite
    08' Evinrude 225 HO

7. Member
    I got my SUV done at the dealer when I bought it and it has a five year warranty.

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by e-tec View Post
    I thought the purpose of the ceramic is to offer long lasting protection. If you have to re-apply every month what's the point? I must be missing something.
    Ceramic coating and Ceramic wax are two different things. The coating is put on in layers the more layers the longer it last the more it costs to have done. The wax is just that a wax it won't last near as long as the coating. And it very well not need done that often that's just when I do it.

Not sure on a boat since I haven't had one done but on vehicle paint prep is everything they spent longer on paint correction than they did coating her car and it was brand new.
    Last edited by jarhead175; 10-25-2020 at 12:17 AM.

9. Member
    I know a fella that is doing his Allison soon.

I applied the Turtle Hybrid Ceramic Spray to my rig. Prep was a pain. Washed the rig and wiped the entire rig down with vinegar and water prior to application. Waited 24 hours and gave it a second coat. I usually keep my boat waxed and detailed. The Turtle stuff has a better/deeper shine and feels slicker than regular wax. As far as water spots, most water runs off or blows off the top cap. Any lake water that evaporates on the Turtle Spray will leave a spot, however they are greatly minimized.

2020 Ranger 521L Tour, 300 Mercury, 112 Minn Kota Ultrex
    3 12" Helix Units, Mega Si, Mega Di, Mega 360, Garmin 8412 W LiveScope mounted on Rite Hite Turret.

11. Member
    I've spent for detail and ceramic coating, but wont again. It was ok, but when you add up the cost vs buying the supplies and doing yourself- its a no-brainer. Ceramic wax doesn't last as long- but it still lasts terrific, and I enjoy doing my own detailing. I bought a DA polisher (you can get a long throw polisher for $75about anywhere) and some supplies from Griots and all in was $150. Did my Puma, and my latest boat (Lynx) and both turned out great (Lynx didn't need much but wanted protection).

Last project was a farm truck bought this summer- 96 ford. It was faded bad, but cleaned up really well. This was a 3-step, with correcting cream, sealant, and then ceramic wax. Dust from the gravel road would blow off it just driving down hwy for the first couple months following the detail.
    Attached Images Attached Images

12. Member
    20 dollar “ceramic” spray Detailer is not the same as a ceramic coating. There’s a reason they are several hundred dollars difference in cost....
    Murray State Alum
    2007 Champion 210 with all the toys

13. Member
    I've been using Chemical Guys Hydroslick on the boat and truck and it works very well and you can layer it. It's stupid easy to apply too. Takes less time than a traditional wax.
    2016 Ranger RT188, Yamaha 115 sho, dual console, 80# Ultrex, hotfoot, networked HB Solix 10 & Helix 9, Mega 360. Powertech NRS3 18p, Atlas 4" jack plate.

14. Member
    Got my boat ceramic coated 4 years ago. Ceramic Pro 9h. Its permanent so nice to just be able to wipe down and looks like new again. Lot of products out there that says ceramic and its bs. Ceramic Pro is not cheap as the 9h kit is 300+ bucks. You get what you pay for.
    2014 Bullet 21xrs
    2016 Merc Opti 300hp Serial #1E053115

15. Member
    I Love Turtle Wax Hybrid Ceramic
    Don Blume

2018 Ranger Z520C
    2018 Mercury 250 Pro XS 2B525775 2-Stroke

Past Rigs
    2008 Triton Tr186 with Mercury 175 Pro XS
    2000 Ranger R73 with Mercury 125
    1976 Basscat with 150 Mercury

16. Member
    Best money spent IMO ....have done it on my last 2 boats.

17. Member
    The Glidecoat PRO is a super product but must be professionally applied. Guys, I did my hull while upside down and mistakenly didn't stick my registration numbers on before applying. Well nothing sticks now. The prep is extensive, the product is catalyzed so permanent. I have no experience with their consumer product so I can't comment but am thinking of professionally applying their PRO version once I get caught up around here. I think it would be a great retirement job. No big boats, no burnt up boats either, lot's of work there, just do the jobs I can do by myself.

18. Member
    No ceramic coating is permanent. Yes they can last a very long time, but on surfaces that are in constant contact with water it will not last nearly as long.

19. Member
    I have read on a couple of performance boating sites about guys having it done and have been very happy with it.

Some of what i read is that it starts with paint correction as they call it. In order to be called ceramic there is a minimum level of silicone dioxide of 1%. The level cn range up to 13%. The higher the level the higher the cost and supposedly a thicker layer to last longer.

A ceramic coating bonds to the paint. Whereas a wax sits on top. Like any wax you have to keep reapplying as it wears away pretty rapidly.

Like a wax a coating is going to shed water and carry away dirt or minerals that are suspended in the water. Anything that does dry on it should clean easier but would say you want to not leave a build up on there for an extended time