Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

trailer jack problem

I have a Dodge Ram truck and I need a 5 1/2” drop for my trailer to ride level. The problem isn’t I feel I use more than a 4 1/2” drop then I don’t have enough clearance to fold up my trailer jack. Can I replace my wheel with a smaller wheel to help? Any other suggestions?

2. Member
    I’d pull it at 4 1/2 and not worry about it. I’ve had boats and trailers 30 plus years and didn’t have a drop hitch on vast majority of boats and never had any issues. MAybe ignorance has been bliss

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Volskeith View Post
    I have a Dodge Ram truck and I need a 5 1/2” drop for my trailer to ride level. The problem isn’t I feel I use more than a 4 1/2” drop then I don’t have enough clearance to fold up my trailer jack. Can I replace my wheel with a smaller wheel to help? Any other suggestions?
    I have same problem. I have a 4-1/2 drop to run level. My benchmark Trailer came with the DL black tongue jack. That jack is attached higher on Trailer than a Fulton type jack. For that reason my jack won't hardly fold away, without a lot of effort, sometimes not at all without moving to different location. I ordered a Fulton tongue jack, but didn't get one. The Fulton jack mounts much lower on trailer, and easily folds away in any location. Caymas said the Fulton tongue jack wouldn't fit on the welded bracket used with the DL jack. So caymas said they wouldn't substitute jacks. So any slight angle on parking spot, or using a ball mount to get level, will cause this. Caymas said I was the only one that noticed this, but wasn't an issue to them.
    Last edited by billproxs; 10-23-2020 at 09:33 AM.

4. Member
    It's unfortunate that the Fulton jack wont fit in place of the DL. I have the same issue, so you are by no means alone bill.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahala View Post
    It's unfortunate that the Fulton jack wont fit in place of the DL. I have the same issue, so you are by no means alone bill.
    Caymas should make b
    Benchmark Trailer should step up, and adapt a bracket to accommodate this issue.
    The Marine master trailer that Caymas started with all had the Fulton winches, tongue jacks.
    I told Caymas I didn't want a box frame on my trailer. Benchmark trailers were discovered, cause I wanted a c channel trailer. A year ago when I ordered cx20pro, caymas was not yet offering anything but box trailers.

6. Member
    Had the same problem on my CX20. Jack wasn’t even close to extendable. Dealer called Caymas and they installed the wrong jack at the factory. They swapped it out and now it has plenty of room to extend. I had one of the first few CX20’s out of the factory so I assume they corrected the problem after the first few went out wrong.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyboy03 View Post
    Had the same problem on my CX20. Jack wasn’t even close to extendable. Dealer called Caymas and they installed the wrong jack at the factory. They swapped it out and now it has plenty of room to extend. I had one of the first few CX20’s out of the factory so I assume they corrected the problem after the first few went out wrong.
    Pm sent

8. Member
    For reference, they replaced the jack on my Benchmark trailer to a DLx Marine jack. Definitely fixed my issue.

9. Member
    For reference, they replaced the jack on my Benchmark trailer to a DLx Marine jack. Definitely fixed my issue.
    What was on it before?
    Randy Almeida
    2023 Caymas CX21
    Mercury Pro XS

10. Member
    Who fixed your problem. Plant or your dealer. Can you explain the difference in the jack that came on your benchmark, vrs the DLX tongue jack now.
    My tongue jack has this same problem. When I have it on level ground, I cant unhook my trailer from my trucks ball mount. When I was at the plant caymas told me there was nothing they could do to help me. David, plant manager even said he tried putting on a Fulton F2, but it wouldnt fit. I ordered a Fulton F2 jack originally, because it mounts lower on trailer, also better quality jack, allowing trailer to crank down lower, never got one. The DL jack won't. I fight mine everytime I use it.

The general consensus is they never heard of it.
    Last edited by billproxs; 11-02-2020 at 09:00 AM.

11. Member
    I'm having the same issue on my 2021 benchmark trailer. It is hard to disconnect from my trailer as the jack will hit the ground before it is completely veritcal.
    Randy Almeida
    2023 Caymas CX21
    Mercury Pro XS

12. Member
    I have heard of many having this issue with benchmark and tongue jack. Many have even tried different ball mounts on Truck to remedy the height issue. if you level or a slight rise, Truck to Trailer, this issue still exists. I hadn't heard of a DLX tongue jack. Maybe that jack mounts lower.

13. Member
    I just looked up dlx jacks. Seems they on their web site do mount in a lower position than the ones caymas and benchmark are using. Benckmark must have got a special deal on theirs.

14. Member
    I don’t recall the jack that was on mine from the factory. It was definitely way to long. Got the boat home and couldn’t get it disco’d from the truck. My dealer worked with someone at Caymas for a solution, so they’re definitely aware. Got all kinds of play now with the DLx jack. It mounted right up with no issues. Might give that a try..

15. Member
    Thanks for the heads up on the fix

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahala View Post

17. BBC SPONSOR
    A good buddy of mine just got his boat a month or so ago and has the same issue. My cx 20 pro was one if the first built and I do not have this issue.

18. Member
    Guess we are all going to need one of these monstrosities!

81gE85Yyh+L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

19. Member
    https://www.dutton-lainson.com/products.php?cat=35
    This is the link to the right DLx jack that will work on our benchmark Trailers. Its the one for $169, second one down on web site. It mounts lower on trailer allowing removal with any ball mount or Truck type.

20. Member
    I can't believe what I am reading. This is totally unacceptable! I just placed an order for a CX20pro. It had better not have this issue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast