Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    Fresh, never frozen.

Quote Originally Posted by ECobb91 View Post
    Looks like a smallmouth to me. Most of our smallmouth up here have red eyes and look exactly like that fish
    Yeah I am thinking smallmouth, kinda washed out looking.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vafishing View Post
    Smallmouth, I have caught them with eyes that color not uncommon.
    Yep, same here

4. Member
    It's a smallmouth but you will get guesses of everything from a rock bass to a red-eyed largemouth.
    Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.

--Voltaire

5. Banned
    Did we ever get the correct ID?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    Is that a picture of the 9lb 1oz smallmouth everyone was talking about here on BBC a few months ago?
    It was 9lb, 7 oz and almost a Lake St. Clair record.
    Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.

--Voltaire

7. Member
    Looks like a Smallmouth to me, I have caught several in WV streams that didn't have the "normal" vertical striped Smallmouth pattern.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Umckibben View Post
    Appears to be a bass, only smaller
    WINNER!!

9. Member
    Looks like a smallmouth to me. I have caught some of those and called it a smallmouth. I have never caught a smallmouth that looked like you see in most pictures that people post.

If I caught that, the last thing I would think of was taking a picture.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crabnbass View Post
    If I caught that, the last thing I would think of was taking a picture.
    The guy took a picture because the closest water with smallmouth is 200 miles away. I don’t know if I’ve ever heard of a random one being caught anywhere on the Tallapoosa, Coosa or Alabama Rivers. If somebody just chunked “one” in there it would be unlikely that it would ever be caught for anyone to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
    The guy took a picture because the closest water with smallmouth is 200 miles away. I don’t know if I’ve ever heard of a random one being caught anywhere on the Tallapoosa, Coosa or Alabama Rivers. If somebody just chunked “one” in there it would be unlikely that it would ever be caught for anyone to know.
    Not from around there, looks like a dink smallmouth to me.

Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    Looks like a Smallmouth to me, I have caught several in WV streams that didn't have the "normal" vertical striped Smallmouth pattern.
    Smallmouth in the lakes around here are varied in their coloring and we have a lot of spotted bass/smallmouth hybrids (meanmouth) so you see all kinds of color variations.

Quote Originally Posted by Quillback View Post
    Smallmouth in the lakes around here are varied in their coloring and we have a lot of spotted bass/smallmouth hybrids (meanmouth) so you see all kinds of color variations.
    The problem with this particular fish being a mean mouth is that there has to be a spawning population of smallmouth in the lake and if that's the case then there would probably be catchable smallmouth in the lake already and nobody has seen smallmouth in that lake...We catch smallmouth along the Tennessee River that aren't patterned for lack of a better term all the time with red eyes like this but sometimes they're in dirty water or colder water but Martin is a deep crystal clear lake and it's just odd that this fish was caught there... Surprising to me?? no, not at all...I'm kind of surprised that his deep and clean as Martin is and even Smith lake is that someone hasn't taken some Tennessee River smallmouth and put in that lake as well...
    MattandAmber Lawler on Facebook
    Matt Lawler HF on Facebook
    matt_lawler_hf on Instagram

"There ain't a price on stupid. Stupid comes for free."

Jonathan Hillstrand

Quote Originally Posted by mrlawler1 View Post
    The problem with this particular fish being a mean mouth is that there has to be a spawning population of smallmouth in the lake and if that's the case then there would probably be catchable smallmouth in the lake already and nobody has seen smallmouth in that lake...We catch smallmouth along the Tennessee River that aren't patterned for lack of a better term all the time with red eyes like this but sometimes they're in dirty water or colder water but Martin is a deep crystal clear lake and it's just odd that this fish was caught there... Surprising to me?? no, not at all...I'm kind of surprised that his deep and clean as Martin is and even Smith lake is that someone hasn't taken some Tennessee River smallmouth and put in that lake as well...
    Yeah I agree that it is an unusual color, I don't think that it is a meanmouth myself either. I catch some bass on Table Rock that look like that fish except they have a greenish/gray look to them, kind of like a spotted bass except with out the lateral line, I'm guessing that they are some kind of hybrid but they don't look at all what I think a spotted bass/smallie hybrid should look like.

Perhaps it was born a largemouth, and began to identify as a smallmouth later in life.

The resulting changes are observable in the photo.

17. Member
    It certainly looks like a smallmouth, but the background doesn’t look like Lake Martin at all.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SKfishing View Post
    It certainly looks like a smallmouth, but the background doesn’t look like Lake Martin at all.
    I was starting to type how could you possibly question a lake based on the tiny bit in the picture, then I saw your screen named and realized you probably know every square inch of that lake.

19. Member
    Nothing in the picture makes me think meanmouth. It’s a smallmouth.

Needs to clean his fingernails......

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast