2000 Merc Optimax 200 HP replacing air injection compressor

Replacing a bad air injection compressor with disintegrated connecting rod roller bearings and need to know how to clean out the oiling system from possible metal contaminants.

I'm also planning on filling the compressor with two stroke oil by pumping oil into the top supply line fitting using a hand held oil pump can.

Should I install inline oil filters on the air injection compressor inlet and outlet oil supply lines as this 2000 model doesn't have them like my friend's 2001 Optimax.

Does it matter which oil port on the electronic oil pump the air injection compressor supply line is hooked up to?

Ordered my parts from Rhonda at European Marine.

Thanks in advance for advice, suggestions, comments.

Roy
    Ot076246

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Oil supply line for compressor is normally slightly larger diameter than the other 6.

Compressor INLET does not have a filter (even those after your engine model). Outlets (2) that go to the crankshaft main bearings DO have filters on the later models. There's certainly no harm in installing them as they can help in trapping any debris and prevent it from moving to other parts of the engine.

An oil pump prime sequence is the correct way to lubricate the compressor. This is done on the Computer Diagnostic System, or other Diagnostic Tool.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Don and Rhonda - Thanks for your expert advice and getting the backordered compressor and all related parts in a more than timely manner.

The outboard runs great! I'm wondering if there's a need to filter the existing two-stroke oil in the oil tank as I believe the oil recirculates back there and could have the old compressor metal contaminants?
    What's your take?

Thanks again!

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CalicoBassin View Post
    Don and Rhonda - Thanks for your expert advice and getting the backordered compressor and all related parts in a more than timely manner.

The outboard runs great! I'm wondering if there's a need to filter the existing two-stroke oil in the oil tank as I believe the oil recirculates back there and could have the old compressor metal contaminants?
    What's your take?

Thanks again!
    Glad you got it done. Did you clean the rail and injectors?

5. Member
    Thanks........
    This is my second air injection compressor I've replaced and I've never had to clean the rail and injectors as only the roller bearing in the connecting rod failed.
    The piston wasn't damaged so I believe no contaminants entered the air rail and injectors.
    I could be wrong but it ran good on sea trial.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CalicoBassin View Post
    Thanks........
    This is my second air injection compressor I've replaced and I've never had to clean the rail and injectors as only the roller bearing in the connecting rod failed.
    The piston wasn't damaged so I believe no contaminants entered the air rail and injectors.
    I could be wrong but it ran good on sea trial.
    Good info. Glad you got it done and saved yourself some money

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Don't "assume" that just because the failure was in the Crankpin that no metal was passed forward. Depending on how long that failure was building, there are gaps in the piston rings, and metal fragments DO often pass through and end up downstream in the system.

This is something I deal with every day.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    Yikes! I'll keep that in mind.
    Thanks