Dustlane

296TF fishfinder mount?

I have a 2001 296TF and I’ve been running a Ballzout mount for a few years with a 9” fishfinder and it has been fine. However, I recently upgraded to a 12” Lowrance unit and the vibration is terrible. I have it mounted next to the dash on the gunwhale and I used a metal backing plate under the gunwhale for extra support. Under idle that thing almost makes you sick trying to read it unless I hold it with my hand. Do any of y’all know of a dash mount that will work with my boat? I haven’t been able to find anything online. I was thinking of trying a Ram mount but I don’t want to spend the money and end up with same result.

2. Member
    8A964544-62BD-4E44-BF42-7497D992DC4D.jpeg
    Quote Originally Posted by dustlane View Post
    I have a 2001 296TF and I’ve been running a Ballzout mount for a few years with a 9” fishfinder and it has been fine. However, I recently upgraded to a 12” Lowrance unit and the vibration is terrible. I have it mounted next to the dash on the gunwhale and I used a metal backing plate under the gunwhale for extra support. Under idle that thing almost makes you sick trying to read it unless I hold it with my hand. Do any of y’all know of a dash mount that will work with my boat? I haven’t been able to find anything online. I was thinking of trying a Ram mount but I don’t want to spend the money and end up with same result.
    ballzout makes a great mount, but I did like my Ram mount with a 12 inch on it.

3. Member
    Terrible picture-sorry!

4. Dustlane
    That’s exactly where mine is mounted but the vibration almost makes me sick trying to read it. I may try to find a buddy that has a ram mount to borrow to see if that helps.

5. Member
    The ram does a great job there. TOC has the same set up

6. Dustlane
    Is that the swing arm type ram mount or the big ball mount?

7. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    My ram mount is rock steady ,but if you have a unbalanced prop or bent shaft it will shake the boat at idle speed .Could be another problem.

8. Dustlane
    I just had it in the shop for lower unit service. The boat runs smooth. Not four stroke smooth but still dang smooth. That HDS 12 is just so heavy. I did have a Ram mount on my old HB 1198 and it didn’t vibrate like this. But that was so long ago I can’t remember if I had the ball mount or the swing arm style. I am also using the top plate that is for 7-9” units rather the wider base plate for the 12-16” units. I just don’t see how that could make that much difference but I could be wrong.

9. Member
    Mine was the swing arm.

10. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    Swing are is better

11. Marty Donlea
    I have a 16 Live mounted there and it's rock solid..

12. Member
    I have a 12” Lowrance Live mounted on a BalZOut mount at the console on the flat spot before the gunnel... I only notice vibration at higher speeds (50 mph) or in rough water. I have a 296 new Merc ProXS 4 Stroke...
    2019 Charger 296
    2019 ProXS 4S

13. Dustlane
    Pretty sure it’s my ol Yamaha OX66 that’s causing the issue. Great engine but not as smooth as the new ones.