New Trailer Tires Goodyear Endurance

I had to buy 205/75/14 tires for the Champion trailer. It came with 205/70/14 tires. The tire size is no longer made in a ST tire. The trailer is a 1988 year model for a 168. I know the newer tires are about 3/4 of inch taller. Does anyone know if this will cause any problems. Any and all input is welcome.

2. Member
    I purchased the Goodyear Endurance D load range. The boat is not very heavy. It weights about 1800 empty. Hard to imagine running 65 psi cold. I was thinking somewhere around 45 to 50 psi cold.

I just put Goodyear Endurance tires (2) on my trailer last week. The Marathons were 10 years old and starting to show a little cracking on the sides. The Goodyear tech that installed them put 60 psi in them, said that was what he recommended for optimum performance.

I have Goodyear Endurance on my trailer. They specifically say for max load rating 65psi. I am running 63psi, and they ride much better than the Marathons that I had
    2021 Skeeter Zx225
    2021 Yamaha 225 SHO
    Ultrex 112# w/ Ipilot
    Helix 12 Mega+SI
    Helix 9 Mega+ SI
    Helix 9 Mega+ DI
    Helix 9 Chirp/GPS
    Garmin 1222 w/ LSV32
    Ionic Lithium

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1sharphook View Post
    You can find the inflation pressure you are looking for on the Goodyear website.

https://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs/rv_inflation.pdf

The self proclaimed tire experts will be along shortly to tell you those dubba$$ engineers at Goodyear don't know what they are talking about and to run them at max sidewall pressure.
    ^^^^^^
    THIS X 1000. Sad but because of a lot of peoples opinions they over inflate the tires. Just like air bags and air ride they need to be inflated to the makers specs per the load to get the best ride and life out of them. Cj
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

There's a reason 65 PSI is molded in bold print on the sidewall !!
    The Endurance replaced the Marathon because of so many failures. The biggest majority of those failures were due to UNDER inflation. By there own admission after they had so many failures they put out a bulletin concerning tire pressure when used at highway speeds.

Special Trailer (“ST”) Tires Goodyear Marathon trailer tires are widely used in a variety of towable trailer applications and are designed and branded as “ST” (Special Trailer) tires.
    • Goodyear Marathon Special Trailer tires, with the “ST” size designation, are speed rated at 65 MPH under normal inflation and load conditions.
    • This speed rating is based on Tire and Rim Association loads and inflation pressures for ST trailer tires without a service description for speeds up through 65 mph. (ref: TRA 2013Year Book)
    • If Goodyear tires, with the ST designation, are used at speeds between 66 and 75 mph, we recommend the cold inflation pressure be increased by 10psi above the recommended pressure based on the trailer placard for normal inflation and load conditions.
    You should also consult your trailer manufacturer’s Owner’s Manual for maximum operating speed recommendations for the trailer. Increasing the inflation pressure by 10 psi (70 kPa) does not provide any additional load carrying capacity.
    Do not exceed the maximum pressure for the wheel or the valve.
    If the maximum pressure for the wheel or valve prohibits the increase of inflation pressure, then the 65 mph rated speed must observed as the maximum speed.
    It may be necessary to dismount the tire from the wheel to determine the maximum rated inflation for the wheel and valve. *
    Last edited by fishnfireman; 11-07-2020 at 11:59 AM. Reason: clarity

Quote Originally Posted by 1sharphook View Post
    Op,

The information posted above was published for Marathon tires that are no longer manufactured.

I recommend that you use inflation recommendations published by Goodyear as it applies to Endurance tires. The speed rating for Endurance tires is published on the inflation chart link in post #3.
    I believe you missed the point of my post..
    If you read it---- It clearly states that was for Marathon tires.
    My Endurance tires have the 65 PSI in bold letters on the side as does the OP,s tires . Which is also what the chart you posted for my application recommends.. The OP stated he thought 65 PSI was to much.. I posted the other info trying to give some clarity as to why they have 65 PSI so noticeable on the side of the Endurance tires that they replaced the Marathon tires with because of people running them under inflated at highway speeds !

IMO--- I doubt theres much difference between the tires other than the stamping on the side. Odds are they renamed it and added the 65 PSI due to the bad reputation the Marathon got for coming apart at highway speeds ..

8. Member
    The bold printing on the sidewall of the endurance tire is a warning to not exceed 65psi tire inflation and that's all it is. My advice to the OP is to use the inflation chart but don't estimate the weight of your rig. Find the GVWR on the trailer plate and inflate to that weight and give yourself a bit of buffer. A 5000LBS tandem trailer with endurance tires could easily be inflated to 40psi, run 45 or 50 if you want some decent buffer, 65 is way too much.
    The marathon bulletin simply addressed the fact that people were exceeding the speed rating of the tire, goodyear came out and said if your trailer load allowed you to inflate the tires by an extra 10psi based on the load carrying chart (all while not exceeding the max 50psi) for marathons that you could exceed the speed rating.
    Also try to make sure your rig is leveled as this will allow the weight to be mostly evenly distributed upon the tires if its a tandem.

On my Endurance tires it says "For Max Weight Inflate To 65 PSI" on the sidewall, not just "Inflate to 65 PSI". Before I purchased them I called GY tech support for some guidance on air pressure. Told the GY rep I was reading on the net that max pressure should always be used in the Endurance tires. He chuckled and told me that GY recommends to not use max pressure unless the weight being carried is the max weight for the tire. He also told me about the inflation chart for the tires and suggested to follow the pressures recommended in the chart that was created by the engineers that designed the tire.

100_4595.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    IMO--- I doubt theres much difference between the tires other than the stamping on the side. Odds are they renamed it and added the 65 PSI due to the bad reputation the Marathon got for coming apart at highway speeds ..
    The BIG difference between the Marathons and the Endurance.........Endurance is made in the USA not in China

12. Member
    One of the main problems if not the number one problem was the Marathons were made in China and a lot of failures were workmanship issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    I believe you missed the point of my post..
    If you read it---- It clearly states that was for Marathon tires.
    My Endurance tires have the 65 PSI in bold letters on the side as does the OP,s tires . Which is also what the chart you posted for my application recommends.. The OP stated he thought 65 PSI was to much.. I posted the other info trying to give some clarity as to why they have 65 PSI so noticeable on the side of the Endurance tires that they replaced the Marathon tires with because of people running them under inflated at highway speeds !

So if your trailer decal say maximum 50 psi, as they have now & years ago with most tires, you should only run 30-40 psi in them. Seems like everyone ran 50 in their tires then. Wow what a bunch of dumb-asses we were then............

Oh for God's sake........get a life. I'm well aware of what came on my boat in '08, I don't need someone like you to tell me what this thread is about. That was just a generalization of the tire pressure most guys ran in their tire, whatever brand they were, years ago. You and a lot of guys like you think your mouths are prayer books because they open & close. BTW, bought my Endurance in 2017 when they first came out. My "08" had marathons, if that's any of your business. Looks like you think you are the self proclaimed tire expert.
    Last edited by tracer1; 11-10-2020 at 07:24 PM.

15. Banned
    The inflation pressure is not only for the load the tire is carrying, but also the speed rating. If you frequently run highways at 70+ mph you should be inflating your LRD tires to at least 60 PSI.

Lower pressure increases contact patch and rolling resistance, therefore increasing heat. Heat causes tires to fail.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Riccochet View Post
    The inflation pressure is not only for the load the tire is carrying, but also the speed rating. If you frequently run highways at 70+ mph you should be inflating your LRD tires to at least 60 PSI.

Lower pressure increases contact patch and rolling resistance, therefore increasing heat. Heat causes tires to fail.
    ^This
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

17. Member
    Ricochet for the win! Exactly

2019 Ram 5.7 Hemi Limited
    Skeeter ZX225
    2 Lowrance 12” Carbons
    1 Lowrance 9” Live
    Minn Kota Ultrex
    Yamaha 225/ Hydro Tec/ 25-T1 SHO prop/ 83mph
    2-8’ Power Poles
    12” Black Atlas Jack

18. Member
    did anybody read his post ?? dont think it was about tire pressure,i missed something here

Quote Originally Posted by buster502 View Post
    did anybody read his post ?? dont think it was about tire pressure,i missed something here
    Obviously

20. Member
    Well he did say ANY input is welcome, he failed to specify that it needs to be relevant input! JK But if you read the second post, it ask about load range and pressure.

but to his question, 3/4” should not be any problem. Trailer will sit half of that higher (3/8”) and fender clearance will also be 3/8” less. I think he will be good to go.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay