Thread: Swap to Verado?

Swap to Verado?

Anyone swapped from a 250 Pro XS to a Verado, I have a opportunity to do this and would like more info. My previous boat had a Verado and I've regretted selling it, but now have a opportunity to put a Verado on my new boat. ( Phoenix 921 Pro XP ) Issues , Trouble, cost, etc.
    Thanks

2. Member
    I have to say, I’ve always wondered why you never see Verados on bass boats. Small displacement supercharged motor seems like a great combo for a bass boat, but I’m sure I’m missing something here. Subscribing...
    2022 Ranger z518 / 2022 Merc Pro XS 200 serial # 3B137559

I would imagine its from the weight. While its impressive the power they making from a 2.6L I6 engine at 668 lbs compared to a 505 lb optimax or pro xs v8. Thats a big difference in weight.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

4. Member
    Ahhh-yes indeed. I had assumed they were lighter due to being lower displacement-even with the blower hardware. Learn something new every day! Thx

5. Member
    I haven’t studied up on all the recent changes with the Mercury outboards but I’m pretty sure that the new Verados up to 300 hp are now the V8 version with no supercharger. 350 and 400hp still are the I6 supercharged.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TritonTRXV8 View Post
    I would imagine its from the weight. While its impressive the power they making from a 2.6L I6 engine at 668 lbs compared to a 505 lb optimax or pro xs v8. Thats a big difference in weight.
    Yes, that's a big difference. But worth the loss in speed. Probably a 5-10 mph difference I'm sure.. I own a 2018 verado 250.. so far I love it. Quiet, nice hole shot.

7. Member
    The $1000 hot foot, limited 4" jackplates, extra steering/price for the rigging that you really don't need on a bassboat were probably the reasons.

I've had mine since mid 04 and its been excellent. I can spin a 27" Trophy to 6200 so I don't think there is actually a speed difference.

8. Member
    Are you going from a V8 ProXS to a V8 Verado? I'm doing the same on my boat as I regretted losing the power steering and silent running of the Verado series. The ProXS has a higher top RPM, 6200 vs. the Verado at 6000 but the gearing is different between them at the 250HP level with the ProXS being 1.75:1 vs. 1.85:1 on the Verado.

If VERADO Pro L6 it’s only 635lbs, and after rigging differences between 2 stroke 250 ProXS is closer than you think. If the v8 model it’s 600 lbs but includes items.
    JEFF MURRAY USMC
    RANGER Z521C & 15 VERADO PRO 250
    DEEP CREEK LURES and ROSE JIGS
    GREENFISH TACKLE and ALX RODS

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    CURRENT 250 Verado models are V-8 based powerhead on an AMS (Advanced Midsection). This is what he would be asking about on a NEW boat.

You can actually get most of the same features in the 250 ProXS DTS model, without adding weight (all while retaining the ProXS power profile). Even the 250 ProXS (Mechanical) is still Electronic Throttle and Shift.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

11. Member
    I have a verado on back of my 21phx. It’s a beast. Absolutely love it. The power steering will make you want to never own a boat without it.