Baits...a bunch of the same or a variety?

While looking through my tackle (shallow crankbaits in particular) I realized that I hardly have any "spares". I don't have hundreds of shallow crankbaits like some guys do, only a few dozen. But it seems like I have one or two from a number of different companies. I have two LC 1.5's, three KVD 1.5's, 1 Megabass S-crank, etc... It got me to wondering how many other guys are like me and how many instead have just a couple brands or models of squarebill that they love, but have a bunch of them? In the past I have looked at it from the viewpoint that I could switch baits multiple times to try and find the exact depth, color, noise, etc...that the fish wanted. However, I'm also out of luck if I lose a bait because even if I have another of the same model, chances are I'm not going to have the same exact color. What do you guys do? Do you have 20 KVD 1.5's or do you have 20 shallow cranks from various companies? I'd love to hear any reasoning behind your choice as well.

2. Member
    I use various companies if needed but I try to stick to one or two brands and then get the complete lineup. I don't purchase more than a couple of the same at any one time as if I lose one I will replace it then. This method helps me minimize the amount of tackle I store.

I also try to stick to a shad type pattern color and a craw color.
    Last edited by Dixie-Raven; 10-22-2020 at 01:54 PM.

3. Banned
    I have a TON, but only throw a couple. It would make more sense to just have a bunch of those couple, but nothing about my bait acquiring makes much sense.

My crank bait supply will outlive me for sure. I always worry that my favorite style/color will come from a company that gets acquired by Pradco and will be discontinued.

I have maybe 6 full boxes plus spares. But I only buy a few of anyone brand until I have confidence in it.

I load up big time on what I have had success with. I only carry a couple colors. I feel.lime I dobetter that way.

7. Member
    Do you fish tournaments?

I do and I'm with Mark, but if I didn't I would have fewer (but not zero) back-ups and mess with more variety.

Tournament angler 4-6 of anything I'll actually throw in practice

Fun fishing, likely still would have a least two of most things but don't need 4-6

Obviously details like Pike water or lots of stumps like Texas etc changes things as well.

8. #FRB
    I've learned over time I only need a shad pattern, a bluegill pattern, and a craw pattern. However, there are colors that make no sense that will put the more natural colors to shame in certain situations. Figuring this out is where it gets expensive and lots of extra room in the boat gets taken up. I'm a Berkley guy for cranks these days but Yo Zuri really looks like a brand I need to try out.

With soft plastics I have tons of different profiles in just a few basic colors. A couple variations of watermelon, green pumpkin, purple, and black should be all most people need to be set with soft plastics plus a baitfish color thrown in here and there.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TownesZ21 View Post
    Do you fish tournaments?

I do and I'm with Mark, but if I didn't I would have fewer (but not zero) back-ups and mess with more variety.

Tournament angler 4-6 of anything I'll actually throw in practice

Fun fishing, likely still would have a least two of most things but don't need 4-6

Obviously details like Pike water or lots of stumps like Texas etc changes things as well.

I do not fish tournaments. If I did I'm sure I would have back-ups and probably back-ups of my back-ups. I do fish quite a few places that have pike, so I've started going more to using plastic crankbaits instead of balsa since I hate to have pike destroy a $20+ bait.

10. Member
    I’ve got a hodgepodge of shallow cranks. Though mostly the older Xcalibur and old LC 1.5s. I’ve just accumulated many different baits over the course of 30 years. Anymore I do streamline my bait buying. I pretty much buy stockpiles of confidence baits in each category and a few new baits to try here or there.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Quillback View Post
    My crank bait supply will outlive me for sure. I always worry that my favorite style/color will come from a company that gets acquired by Pradco and will be discontinued.
    Already happened too a lot of companies I liked.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basscat tyler View Post
    I’ve got a hodgepodge of shallow cranks. Though mostly the older Xcalibur and old LC 1.5s. I’ve just accumulated many different baits over the course of 30 years. Anymore I do streamline my bait buying. I pretty much buy stockpiles of confidence baits in each category and a few new baits to try here or there.
    Then have fun with it, play around with different stuff. Backups of some but you're not loosing money if you run out so not as much stress.

13. Member
    Still throwing some old Bagley Killer B IIs Bandits, and wish I still had some of the old Rebel craw colors.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Quillback View Post
    Ain't that the truth....lol

If it's a bait/color I have confidence in I like to have 3 in the boat. If it's one I only use from time to time I would have 1 or 2 of that bait/color in the boat.
    Brad Whitaker
    whittyoutdoors.com --- Use code BBC5 at checkout for 5% off
    Whitty Outdoors handmade crankbaits

08 Stratos 201XL 250 HO E-tec
    05 Weld-Craft 1852 semi-v 115/80 Mercury jetdrive