Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Capw View Post
    So you don't use 2d when running?
    I used to divide the screen into 4 sections and have the 2D directly above the DI so I had both representations of the fish. What I found over time is that I was really referring to the DI image to interpret what I was really seeing in the way of fish. The 2D was just taking up screen space and wasn't really providing any value. I find much more value in having the SI full width so I can detect even smaller groups of Stripers off to the left or right as I'm trolling and adjust my trolling grid accordingly.

As Wayne said, I always have my depth displayed on the data portion of my screen so I always know the depth... whether trolling or at high speed. In my case, I have my transducer on a pontoon and can usually still get my DI and SI readouts even at 22MPH. I definitely get turbulence on the left side of the SI image since it is on the other side of the motor but it does work.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

2. Member
    It must be the G2. With the comparison of DI and 2D on a G1 there are many things I don't see on DI. As a troller I also like fish ID to easily know the depth of fish inside my 2D cone. Not having to closely look at the small, 2D screen without having to expand it and then surmise the depth. DI is the one I can turn off if wanting an expanded SI view. Do you see your DR weights on DI? Unless I am doing under 1.5 I don't.( I especially miss seeing my stacker clips as well) Bob
    Last edited by bobcoy; 10-26-2020 at 07:35 AM. Reason: added stackers
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

3. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    It must be the G2. With the comparison of DI and 2D on a G1 there are many things I don't see on DI. As a troller I also like fish ID to easily know the depth of fish inside my 2D cone. Not having to closely look at the small, 2D screen without having to expand it and then surmise the depth. DI is the one I can turn off if wanting an expanded SI view. Do you see your DR weights on DI? Unless I am doing under 1.5 I don't.( I especially miss seeing my stacker clips as well) Bob
    Bob, I have the new Cannon Optimum Digital Downriggers which are Bluetooth connected to my Solix. With this 2 way Bluetooth connection, I get depth readings for both of my downriggers on my Solix and also get the bottom depth readings on the downrigger display. I don't really pay any attention to whether I get a return on the downrigger balls. I typically don't, however because I have my downriggers on the front of my 22' pontoon. Since the Transducer is on the back of the boat, the ball has to be in the 60' or deeper range to be in either the 2D or DI cones. Although there are a few times I troll that deep, most of the time the downrigger balls are in the 15' to 30' range.

I tried the Fish ID on several occasions and through various Solix SW updates but got too many false readings no matter how I had the Fish ID sensitivity set. I wanted to like it and use it but I just couldn't get past the clutter and ID of bait fish as targets.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

4. Member
    I see, I just have 2 simple electric riggers mounted on the rear gunnels of my pro-V. I have markedly better luck with fish ID. Left at default(5) as Wayne suggests. I do not get false id's on bait. Surface id's on windy days but not a distraction. I adjust my riggers to fish as I usually have a 25 to 100' let back.(plenty of time to adjust baits for those fish). I also fish deeper as the deep summer(late August) is the only time I use them(40 to 50' T-cline) so I have not dedicated a bunch of money to that system. I use fish shaped weights and they do not get too far back where I cant get a good return on them or my stackers. I do fish Walleyes for the freezer, but get a stripper occasionally. I try not to as they are not releasable that time of year. But only 5 total in 15 years. 34 to 46". I try to shake them loose. It is easy to tell when it's a Stripper with the screaming drag! The G2 DI must be dramatically better than G1 Solix. Never used a DR till I retired down here. Even though I grew up around Lake Michigan and Green Bay. Gotta do what works! Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12