Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    I’d get rid of it while the value is high. While they are fairly reliable, they are rough riding and gutless. Newer duramax may have some issues with emissions stuff, but the power and comfort will be way better
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ColdSVT View Post
    if Ford ever built a good diesel it was the 7.3...fantastic engine

The resf of the newer diesels ford makes are junk...and im a Ford guy
    Ford didn't built the 7.3, the 6.7 is the first diesel Ford built.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    Ford didn't built the 7.3, the 6.7 is the first diesel Ford built.
    Regardless...the 7.3 is a damn good engine lol
    2020 Skeeter ZX150

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wild Heethen View Post
    Greatest diesel engine Ford ever built. Highly desired everywhere.
    Greatest in what aspect? I’ve had a 6.9na (not made by Ford), 7.3idi (not made by Ford), 6.0 (not made by Ford), and a 6.7 (made by Ford). The 6.7 spanks them all and it’s not even close.

as much flak as the 6.0 gets, I’d take a “fixed” 6.0 over a 7.3 all day. Truth of the matter is the 7.3 is a slug....but a fairly reliable one with only a few quirks. Truthfully in the 7.3 timeframe, I was more impressed with the 460 gas engine for what I needed/wanted

5. Member

I wouldn’t consider myself a ford guy but I’d like to know your experience and reasoning for this statement!!!

6. Banned

Lol, sureeeee.....

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaredn View Post
    Greatest in what aspect? I’ve had a 6.9na (not made by Ford), 7.3idi (not made by Ford), 6.0 (not made by Ford), and a 6.7 (made by Ford). The 6.7 spanks them all and it’s not even close.

as much flak as the 6.0 gets, I’d take a “fixed” 6.0 over a 7.3 all day. Truth of the matter is the 7.3 is a slug....but a fairly reliable one with only a few quirks. Truthfully in the 7.3 timeframe, I was more impressed with the 460 gas engine for what I needed/wanted
    Thats why you don't leave them stock, tuning reallly wakes them up. I am making more power than a new 6.7 with all I have done to my 7.3.

8. Banned
    Thats why you don't leave them stock, tuning reallly wakes them up. I am making more power than a new 6.7 with all I have done to my 7.3.

How much hp/tq could a 6.7 make with all those same changes?

9. Member
    I’m sorry but I’ve been there and done that. The 7.3, no matter how much money you dump in it, will never be a 6.7....and I have a warranty. I am a fan of the 7.3 too but I’m not gonna blow smoke up anybodys ass

id LOVE a ‘97 7.3 OBS but there is no amount of money you could throw at it to make it half the truck of a 6.7 alumiduty

if you’re into dumping money into a non-emissions engine, the 6.0 is light years ahead of the 7.3

10. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryanmc57 View Post
    Well, you don't have a boat anymore and you don't fish, so maybe consider a Prius.... (Remember, we're in the lounge... )

He may bitch about the cable install fee!!

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    How much hp/tq could a 6.7 make with all those same changes?
    If you have the money the sky is the limit for both, but If you live in a State where they do emissions testing you won't be modifying the 6.7 much.

12. Member
    I’m sorry but I’ve been there and done that. The 7.3, no matter how much money you dump in it, will never be a 6.7....and I have a warranty. I am a fan of the 7.3 too but I’m not gonna blow smoke up anybodys ass

id LOVE a ‘97 7.3 OBS but there is no amount of money you could throw at it to make it half the truck of a 6.7 alumiduty

if you’re into dumping money into a non-emissions engine, the 6.0 is light years ahead of the 7.3
    LOL I highly doubt you have been there and done that by the way you talk, you can get 700+ HP out of the 7.3 or any other of the Powerstrokes you mentioned. You have to dump 5K ot more into a 6.0 just to make it relaible before you do any tuning to It. 5K in a 7.3 will get you 500+ hp.

13. Banned
    If you have the money the sky is the limit for both, but If you live in a State where they do emissions testing you won't be modifying the 6.7 much.

Would an old 7.3 pass emissions? There’s a reason why they added all this new clean diesel BS, wish they hadn’t.

14. Member
    You have over 1000 ft lb with a 7.3? Must have some pretty serious mods.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

15. Member
    LOL I highly doubt you have been there and done that by the way you talk, you can get 700+ HP out of the 7.3 or any other of the Powerstrokes you mentioned. You have to dump 5K ot more into a 6.0 just to make it relaible before you do any tuning to It. 5K in a 7.3 will get you 500+ hp.
    Yea, head studs and egr delete are not 5k but there’s really no sense in arguing.

so you have to dump 5k to get EQUAL to a warrantied, nannied, emissioned 6.7 in hp? What’s it take to get to 1050ft/lbs? Like I said, I’m not a black smoke blowing fad boy...I started with an old 6.9 hand me down when I was 16

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    Would an old 7.3 pass emissions? There’s a reason why they added all this new clean diesel BS, wish they hadn’t.
    Yes, they will pass emissions they don't have to meet the same standards that the new trucks do, same goes for older pre emissions gas engines, It is still legal to drive early 70s and older cars that have no emissions equipment at all.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjenson View Post
    You have over 1000 ft lb with a 7.3? Must have some pretty serious mods.
    Yes tuning, bigger injecors, and turbo, along with all the other supporting mods.

18. Member
    Yea, head studs and egr delete are not 5k but there’s really no sense in arguing.

so you have to dump 5k to get EQUAL to a warrantied, nannied, emissioned 6.7 in hp? What’s it take to get to 1050ft/lbs? Like I said, I’m not a black smoke blowing fad boy...I started with an old 6.9 hand me down when I was 16
    Takes a lot more than just an EGR delete and head studs to properly bulletproof a 6.0. Also how much does a 7.3 truck go for price wise compared to a 6.7? You can buy a 7.3 truck and put 5K or even more in it and still come out for a fraction of the cost of a 6.7.

19. Member
    Yes tuning, bigger injecors, and turbo, along with all the other supporting mods.
    Show us your ride. Pics?

20. Banned
    In typical BBC fashion, we have derailed this thread.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast