Going old school....

I have been wanting to do this for awhile, and I finally found a near mint set of Ping Zings 1-LW to build. I am waiting on my Dynamic Gold Tour Issue 120 X100 shafts to come in. I will be adding inserts to help dampen vibration. I will finish them off with Golf Pride MCC Align grips. Should be a fun build.

This will be a pretty severe departure from the irons that I have played for the last 20 years, but man I remember playing so well with Ping Eye 2s it should be a fun test.

2. Member
    Interesting project. Let us know how it goes.

3. Member
    I had a Ping Eye 2 sand wedge, was a very nice club, wanted a set of Zings so bad, just thought they were the coolest looking clubs.

4. Member
    Had a set of Eye 2 red dot. Great clubs but very weak lofted by today's standard. PW was 50 degree, my current PW is 43. Had to drop down a club or 2 to get same distance...Good luck on your rebuild.

5. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar
    A little update after finishing the build yesterday and taking them to the range for the initial test. Of course due to lofts, these are shorter than my current gamers being on average 2 degrees weaker in lofts except for the SW and LW, which equals out to 5-6 yards. These things like to launch high and straight. I was able to work them both ways and up and down. I don't like the wedges for shots around the green so far due to the bounce and only having 3 wedges instead of my normal 4 limits the types of shots for me.

IMO though, they are as good as anything produced today. People get consumed by distance or the number on the bottom of the club too much. 28 degrees is 28 degrees to me.

6. Member
    I liked the ping eye 2s better than the zings back in the day. But you are definitely right about the number on the bottom. Just grab the club that gets you to the hole!!!

7. Member
    My first set was ping eye 2+ black dot s300...1 through lob wedge... I started golf at 30 and at 33 won our clubs championship with them...i did not carry a wood since i had not learned how to use them...gave the eye 2s to my youngest son 25 years ago and he would play occasionally but started fishing...he just recently sold his boat and started playing golf again...he hits them at least 1 club longer that i did back in my prime...i just grin watching him...and i bought him a nice set of iblades and he like the eye 2s much better...thanks for trip back in time...

I bought a set of Eye-2's back in the '80's and loved them !! Then bought the Zings when they came out, played a dozen or so rounds with them and went back to my Eye-2's !! Just couldn't control them as well with the Zings. Also had a set of Lynx that I hit well, but the Ping Eye-2 Black Dot is still my favorite !!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

9. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar
    I played Eye 2 through college and I owned a set until several years ago. They are still hard to beat.

Quote Originally Posted by ohsnags View Post
    Had a set of Eye 2 red dot. Great clubs but very weak lofted by today's standard. PW was 50 degree, my current PW is 43. Had to drop down a club or 2 to get same distance...Good luck on your rebuild.

I can’t stand the loft cheap in today’s clubs. Today’s 7 iron is really a 5 iron. Companies like to say it the longest ever, but in reality it’s not.
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

11. Member
    you should try my Mizuno MP-37's