Blazer 202 motor change question.

Im repowering my 06 202 with a 2018 mercury pro xs 250 with a gen 2 torque master lower. I was running a built 225 Yamaha HpDI turning a 27 t1 high 70s around 5850rpm. I’m wondering how much set up changes I’m going to have to make with the Mercury I’m putting on to get the same or better performance, as far as prop brand and size and also engine height. I’m running a 16” set back hydro dynamic manual jack plate. Any input from others with the same set up with a Merc 250 would be greatly appreciated!

2. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar
    You should certainly pick up some performance depending on how strong the 250 is. Most of the Merc 250 Pro XS/202 combos would run high 70s - low 80s depending on load, set up, and driver. I'd find a 27 Tempest, 27 Trophy, and a 26 TXP 4 blade to try. Maybe even one of the Merc Pro Max props in a 27.

Rule of thumb....the Merc/202 combos usually run better with a 4 blade prop or a 3 blade. Not always...but most of the time.

3. Member
    A 26 txp 4 blade is definitely what I feel like I want! I just hate to spend that amount of money on one and it not be the correct prop for me. What I would like to do is figure out how to put that Yamaha t1 27 prop that I was running on my Yamaha on my mercury and run it! That way I can see what my numbers are, I feel like I would have a pretty good idea of what way I would need to go

4. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar
    Isn't the Merc a 16 spline prop shaft? If so, you just need the correct thrust washer to make it work.

5. Member
    You wouldn’t happen to have a part number on that would ya?

6. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar
    No, I'd go over to the prop board and ask Mike. I'm he knows for sure if it would work and what washer you might need.

I'm pretty sure I have the correct thrust washer in my prop parts box, I just wouldn't know which one it is anymore.

7. Member
    I don’t think it will work any way now.. I think this gen 2 lower on the merc has a fat shaft so it will not work

8. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar
    I forgot about the fat shaft on the Gen 2 torque master.

9. Member
    Yup.. but o well. You haven’t seen any 26 txp 0t4s for sale have ya?

10. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar
    No sir I have not.