Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Double Axle Maneuverability..any tips

Bought a boat with a double axle trailer and need to maneuver a little to get it into the garage and really struggled

is this just the nature of the beast or are their mods or devices available to help with this?

thanks!

They're a pain in the butt to maneuver. I just brute force mine which you've found isn't fun. I have learned that pushing is much easier than pulling, for whatever that's worth!

The only solution I know of is to either get a motorized "trailer valet" which will usually be crazy expensive, or to get 2 wheel dollies, one for each side. For the latter, you just put one under a wheel on each side then it's like pushing around a single axle.

Here's an example of a wheel dolly: https://www.harborfreight.com/1250-l..._q=wheel+dolly
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

Depending on the manufacturer you can jack up the trailer jack all the way and many times it lifts the front wheels up enough to maneuver it like a single axle. Others options in addition to the above dollies are to buy a taller jack or a Trailer Valet.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

4. Member
    They track SO much better than single axle trailers when hooked up to your tow vehicle. I hate using single axle trailers, but they sure are easy to move when off the tow vehicle.

5. Member
    I agree with this post. Two jacks on the front wheels works great. There are some videos on youtube and many showrooms move vehicles this way. I was a little concerned about trailer axle damage but you gotta do something.

6. Member
    thanks, will check out some videos

tried brute force last night unsuccessfully

7. Member
    Agree with the above responses. Tandem axle trailers tow so much better, but the garage maneuverability is the trade off.

I bought 4 of these from The Freight so I could just move the boat sideways. But one under each front wheel would give it essentially single axle trailer maneuverability.

Freight Action.png
    Bullet 21XRS
    Mercury Pro XS 250

8. Member
    Single axle is great for moving by hand.........will not own another though as the dual axle pulls so much smoother.

9. Member
    I bought 4 of the titan brand work great. 180 per pair
    98 Ra​nger R93
    00 Evinrude 175hp Ficht
    HB Helix 12 Mega DI G4N
    HB Helix 12 Mega SI G4N
    HB Helix 10 Mega SI G2N
    Mega 360
    Mega Live

10. Member
    I use a Park-it-360 to move my 21' Ranger. Expensive but does an excellent job. I no longer throw fits while trying to get boat in a side entry garage.

Go Jacks also work but take a lot of man power to move boat.

11. Member
    put clear plastic sheeting under the wheels will move easier
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

Quote Originally Posted by Rangerdeepv View Post
    Single axle is great for moving by hand.........will not own another though as the dual axle pulls so much smoother.
    100% agree. The tradeoff you get in the ride while towing both kn the trailer and in the truck far outweighs the manuevering shortfalls. Def have to get used to moving it around.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    Depending on the manufacturer you can jack up the trailer jack all the way and many times it lifts the front wheels up enough to maneuver it like a single axle. Others options in addition to the above dollies are to buy a taller jack or a Trailer Valet.
    I have had good luck going as low as possible vs as high, more stable on the jack, also I have the jack off the ground then just had to apply som down pressure to pull the rear tires off the ground.

plastic sheeting or if you can steel a dozen fast food plastic trays they probably work too, we once put them under a cars rear tires, pulled the ebrake and went for a rip haha
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteboat View Post
    I use a Park-it-360 to move my 21' Ranger. Expensive but does an excellent job. I no longer throw fits while trying to get boat in a side entry garage.

Go Jacks also work but take a lot of man power to move boat.

same

If its for winter storage. Just remove the tires from one axle and move it like a single axle. Then put it on blocks. I use railroad ties cut to length. Perfect fit puts the tire just off the floor for winter storage.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

16. Member
    Take two of the wheels off!

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangerdeepv View Post
    Single axle is fine for smaller boats, but not for 20' or 21' rigs, since it would sway when pulling down the road and not enough brakes.

18. Member
    If you have a sealed floor, raise the trailer jack and you can move them around fairly easily.
    2019 Ranger Z520C DC / 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

19. Member
    2019 Ranger Z520C DC / 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

Quote Originally Posted by DAC244 View Post
    Take two of the wheels off!
    Why not?

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast