Mercury Platinum Warranty Coverage

Anyone have any examples of where the Platinum Warranty saved them some money? I am going to extend my motor warranty and looked into an additional 3 years of Platinum but want to know if it is worth the money. I am sure there are pros and cons to extending the warranty. Does Platinum pretty much cover ALL issues with the motor I may have? Thanks!

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

Your engine is likely a 3L model.

I've seen dozens of cases where Platinum PRODUCT PROTECTION (note- this is NOT "warranty") saved a consumer a bundle. One perfect example was one of our customers who purchased a Platinum Product Protection Plan from us about 6 years ago for his Verado. Went for the max number of years... and ONE MONTH before the Platinum coverage ended, he lost a powerhead. All said and done- the repair would have been 3 times what he paid for the Product Protection Plan.

It simply comes down to this: If NOTHING fails, peace of mind is what you got. If you DO have a failure, it may well be the best money you ever spent.

Mercury Product Protection Plans are a Service Contract (thus are separate and different from "warranty"). Major mechanical, electrical, much of the fuel system, and numerous other components are covered. Seals, gaskets, rubber or plastic and maintenance items are not covered. See contract for complete details.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

I have had Gold and had a bunch of injectors go bad. They are not covered by Gold but are covered by Platinum. In this case, Platinum would have been well worth it. I am all about “peace of mind” so I usually by a couple extra years of Platinum.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

4. Member
    Haven’t ever had a new mercury but from what I have read, go with Platinum if you buy one, Gold not really worth it.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

5. Member
    Sounds like you have (2) options: Purchase the Platinum warranty or Purchase a Yamaha

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kbrock1234 View Post
    Sounds like you have (2) options: Purchase the Platinum warranty or Purchase a Yamaha
    Now thats funny!

...you mean the SHO where the powerhead blows around 250 hours...just after the warranty runs out. No thanks. I will take a Mercury, Platinum PPP and still have some dollars left in my pocket over the Yamadog.

It was funny though!

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Just two problems there... "Platinum" is NOT "warranty", and Yamaha doesn't have anything to do with the topic (let alone the forum).

But you did get your post counter to move up by "one".

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    Sorry, i was only trying to be funny. My wife tells me too many times that i am not, she must be right. (glade she doesn't read any of these post).

10. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    The only thing bad about it is it doesn't cover seals and other soft parts. It's not ;like an extended car warranty where it's bumper to bumper.

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain, CT.
    An Khe 66-67

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bassnman81 View Post
    The only thing bad about it is it doesn't cover seals and other soft parts. It's not ;like an extended car warranty where it's bumper to bumper.
    Many auto "extended" service contracts work in a very similar way (very few are "really" bumper-to-bumper, including the bumpers).

12. Member
    This getting