Battery Question

Considering a system with 1 agm cranking, 1 lithium house, and 3 lithium trollers.

With the electronics needing more power, and the outboard mfr's requiring an agm, this is the best system I can come up with.
    My question is, how do I charge it?

Copied from the HB board:

If I had 3 Lithium trollers, one lithium house (electronics only) and one AGM for cranking/livewells/pumps (have to for warranty purposes on the Merc), is there any way to get by with one charger? I've not seen a 5 bank, but there may be one out there. Should be with the way these electronics eat up batteries.
    I'm guessing I'll need to run the 4 banks for the lithiums and add a separate charger for the cranking agm? Or is there a way around having two chargers? If a second charger is necessary, I'd imagine I'd just have the charge for the cranking and house. Trollers would be fine (100 ah).

All this would be really simple if Merc/Yamaha would allow a lithium cranking battery, but they don't so I'm trying to find a way around it.

Boat being built soon, and it will have 4 units, LS, M360, etc. as I fish offshore alot. Currently have a PP Charge slated to be in the build. Not sure how I'd charge the 5th battery. Do 5 banks exist? Add a second charger? Can the charge power both an agm and lithium off the merc? Or will parallel AGM's for cranking be able to handle all that and keep it much simpler (and cheaper) than adding a lithium for electronics?

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Obviously you don't have your boat yet, so it wouldn't be likely you would have the serial number.

However: At the VERY least, it will be necessary to know exactly what engine you have ordered. This will help to identify the exact engine requirements- and what options you can utilize.

I suspect in the end you will end up with two (2) AGM's, a separate charger for those batteries, and an Isolator system (although I don't recommend this, they CAN be used provided that the batteries are kept up, and are not massively discharged).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    I’m running a 125ah Ionic lithium battery for my engine and all electronics. No problems and plenty of power to run everything all day.
    Randy Almeida
    2023 Caymas CX21
    Mercury Pro XS

4. Member
    How would two AGM's (Northstars) in parallel compare to a 100 ah lithium power-wise? It may just be easier to go high quality AGM's.

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Obviously you don't have your boat yet, so it wouldn't be likely you would have the serial number.

However: At the VERY least, it will be necessary to know exactly what engine you have ordered. This will help to identify the exact engine requirements- and what options you can utilize.

I suspect in the end you will end up with two (2) AGM's, a separate charger for those batteries, and an Isolator system (although I don't recommend this, they CAN be used provided that the batteries are kept up, and are not massively discharged).

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    That would really be overkill... one of them should be sufficient.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    The problem is there will be 4 units, Livescope and M360. One won't cut it. That's why I was thinking lithium, but I'm pretty sure two agm's in parallel may be the route I take. Don't want to mess with house batteries or additional chargers.

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    That would really be overkill... one of them should be sufficient.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you're going to use two AGM's, DO NOT put them in parallel. Install an ACR or a Battery Isolator to charge the second battery once the main battery is fully charged. Direct parallel connection can actually reduce battery life.