2021 115 ProXs Overheat during break in

Last weekend I picked up my brand new 1875 Renegade with 115 Mercury Pro XS.

Took it out and initially everything seemed to be working well.

Then hour 1.2 hit. 6 beep alarm indicating engine overheating on my Vesselview.

Continued stream from the water pump.

Luckily the dealer managed to help me isolate issue to the thermostat, and got it changed on the first day of ownership. After hours on a Saturday as well.

Upon taking the old thermostat off, we found a defect that wasn't allowing it to open.

No issues since, but I can't help but worry about future problems related overheating during break in.

What, if anything, would you do? Call Mercury and complain? Ask for extended warranty?

Thanks

2. Member
    your up and running nothing more to ask for...
    2015 189 trx

3. Member
    Unless you continued to run it hard with the alarm going off I wouldn't worry too much about it.
    Michael Dilday
    Suffolk, Va.

2021 Tracker 195 TXW 150 Merc 4S, Minn Kota Edge TM, Humminbird Fish Finders

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Engine Guardian was working in the background to help protect the engine. Very unlikely that any permanent or serious damage occurred (unless as suggested you ignored the alarm and continued trying to run at high RPM's).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    I did not continue to run the motor. Immediately pulled to the side of the river, shutdown and called my dealer.

The highest temperature I saw on Vesselview was 198 degrees.

Really got to work out the Garmin Force to bring me the 4 miles back to the ramp.

6. Member
    Seems like you got one good heat cycle in!
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Good call. Hopefully they get it taken care of for you quickly.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor