5 battery system, 3 lithium trollers, 1 lithium for electronics, 1 agm cranking

With the electronics needing more power, and the outboard mfr's requiring an agm, this is the best system I can come up with.
    My question is, how do I charge it?

Copied from the HB board:

If I had 3 Lithium trollers, one lithium house (electronics only) and one AGM for cranking/livewells/pumps (have to for warranty purposes on the Merc), is there any way to get by with one charger? I've not seen a 5 bank, but there may be one out there. Should be with the way these electronics eat up batteries.
    I'm guessing I'll need to run the 4 banks for the lithiums and add a separate charger for the cranking agm? Or is there a way around having two chargers? If a second charger is necessary, I'd imagine I'd just have the charge for the cranking and house. Trollers would be fine (100 ah).

All this would be really simple if Merc/Yamaha would allow a lithium cranking battery, but they don't so I'm trying to find a way around it.

Boat being built soon, and it will have 4 units, LS, M360, etc. as I fish offshore alot. Currently have a PP Charge slated to be in the build. Not sure how I'd charge the 5th battery. Do 5 banks exist? Add a second charger? Charge cranker and house off alternator (if Merc will allow that)? Or will parallel AGM's for cranking be able to handle all that and keep it much simpler (and cheaper) than adding a lithium for electronics?

2. Member
    A Lithium compatible Trollbridge 36 will charge all three trolling batteries from a single output shore power charger connected to the starting battery. The bonus is they are also charged by the alternator(s) on the starting battery. Most customers find the trolling batteries are already fully charged by the time the get back to the trailer, requiring little or no shore power charging.

A Lithium compatible Combiner 100 will charge your house battery the same way allowing you to get by with a single output charger. With only one charger needed you can use a clip-on portable charger when you get home saving the cost, weight and installation of a multi-output marine charger.

3. Member
    NOCO use to make a 5 bank charger but I couldn't find one. I am considering doing the same, AGM for starting, 3 lifepo4 for trolling motor and a lifepo4 house battery. Yamaha and Lifepo4 starting batteries do not get along. I was planning on getting a 4 bank and single charger or a 3 bank and 2 bank.

4. Member
    Not well versed with the Lithium technology but don't they make 12/24/36 volt batteries? If so, that might be one way to reduce the number of batteries.
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

5. Member
    Think this may be the way we have to go, unfortunately. 4 bank and a single might be cleanest. 4 dedicated to lithiums and single for the cranking. Would you get both of them mounted/onboard?

Quote Originally Posted by kcinnick View Post
    NOCO use to make a 5 bank charger but I couldn't find one. I am considering doing the same, AGM for starting, 3 lifepo4 for trolling motor and a lifepo4 house battery. Yamaha and Lifepo4 starting batteries do not get along. I was planning on getting a 4 bank and single charger or a 3 bank and 2 bank.

I have a dual pro onboard 3 bank for my trolling and a Dual pro 2 bank with alligator clips for the cranking batteries. I put the 2 bank on the back deck when charging and keep in the truck when fishing.
    Last edited by haus9393; 10-29-2020 at 11:38 AM.

2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    HDS16 Pro- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 Pro W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

MLF Invitationals Angler
    Instagram @brettcarnright

7. Member
    The answer would be to parallel the "house" and the "cranking" batteries, however, not knowing much about Lithiums I don't know if you can run them in parallel with another type battery. Another idea for charging would be to connecting the charger to a battery selector switch, allowing you to switch a bank from cranking to house by turning a switch.
    John

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann-Marie View Post
    A Lithium compatible Trollbridge 36 will charge all three trolling batteries from a single output shore power charger connected to the starting battery. The bonus is they are also charged by the alternator(s) on the starting battery. Most customers find the trolling batteries are already fully charged by the time the get back to the trailer, requiring little or no shore power charging.

A Lithium compatible Combiner 100 will charge your house battery the same way allowing you to get by with a single output charger. With only one charger needed you can use a clip-on portable charger when you get home saving the cost, weight and installation of a multi-output marine charger.
    Thanks Ann-Marie,

You’ve just answered a question I was about to ask in another post!

I’m planning on an AGM starting battery, a 36v lithium TM battery and 1x24v or 2x12v lithium house batteries and was wondering how best to keep the filled with electricity, and you’ve just solved that problem

9. Member
    I don't believe you can parallel a lithium and agm (would love to be wrong), but the battery selector switch is something I'll look into. It would be awesome if I could charge the cranking and then charge the trollers and house by flipping a switch. I'll check that out.

Quote Originally Posted by John Jones JTM View Post
    The answer would be to parallel the "house" and the "cranking" batteries, however, not knowing much about Lithiums I don't know if you can run them in parallel with another type battery. Another idea for charging would be to connecting the charger to a battery selector switch, allowing you to switch a bank from cranking to house by turning a switch.
    John

10. Banned
    5 batteries ??

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokeyr67 View Post
    Thanks Ann-Marie,

You’ve just answered a question I was about to ask in another post!

I’m planning on an AGM starting battery, a 36v lithium TM battery and 1x24v or 2x12v lithium house batteries and was wondering how best to keep the filled with electricity, and you’ve just solved that problem
    Pay attention to your Trolling motor though. Cant speak for others but system isnt any good with a Garmin Force... In order to charge, it has to kill your 36 volt power. Which will shut down a Garmin and require you to wait for it to reboot every stop. Troll bridge does have a bypass, but then that defeats the entire purpose of having it.

12. Member
    Fred, the trolling motor boots up? How long does that take? Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ezfishn View Post
    Not well versed with the Lithium technology but don't they make 12/24/36 volt batteries? If so, that might be one way to reduce the number of batteries.
    ^^^ Exactly what I was thinking!

14. Member
    I have this battery setup and I use MK precision chargers. I have a 4 bank in the back and a 1 bank in the console for the house battery. If I had to do it over again, I would go with a 3 bank charger for the lithium trolling motor batteries, a 1 bank for the AGM cranking battery, and the same 1 bank for the lithium house battery. That would let me take my lithiums off the charger while leaving the AGM on the charger. A little bit of a pain dealing with multiple outlets but it's easily manageable with the right extension cords.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dropdeadfred View Post
    Pay attention to your Trolling motor though. Cant speak for others but system isnt any good with a Garmin Force... In order to charge, it has to kill your 36 volt power. Which will shut down a Garmin and require you to wait for it to reboot every stop. Troll bridge does have a bypass, but then that defeats the entire purpose of having it.
    The "entire purpose of having it" is to charge a 36 volt battery from a 12 volt alternator.
    Having it switch automatically is a nice convenience feature that you can disable if it is not convenient.

16. Member
    PP charge should keep batteries charged throughout the day

17. Member
    Would it not make sense to just simply go with a 4bank for all the lithiums and a 1 bank for the AGM?

Charge requirements are different and you have that covered. As long as there is space you can mount them all and because of the weight savings of the lithiums be fine, or have a portable charger for the AGM. If you run much and don't do anything other than start your motor it won't need charging much at all. I would charge it after tournament days with pumps running all day but no big deal to hook it up.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TownesZ21 View Post
    Would it not make sense to just simply go with a 4bank for all the lithiums and a 1 bank for the AGM?
    If you can get all 5 batteries in your rear compartment that would work. If you put your electronics battery up in your console it's not as feasible.

19. Member
    Wouldn’t wiring the trolling motor lithiums and the house lithium on the same charger open you up to interference issues with the trolling motor running and the electronics hooked to the house? I’ve got a 3 bank charger for the TMs and a separate 2 bank charger for the house and crank for that reason.

20. Member