Thread: Deer

Thumbs down Deer

It is that time of year. Tuesday my wife went hunting with her car and now we are car shopping. She was not hurt and that is all that really matters.

I have seen two more accidents since then on my drive. The one this morning must have been bad, as there was two officers at the scene. There was not much left of the deer and the vehicle was in the ditch.

Lots of you hunt those critters, so if you could just shoot them all, that would be great.

2. Member
    My shop is right next to a body shop. This time of year they are flooded with deer hits. I see some really torn up cars.
    1990 Champion 184
    Yamaha proV150
    Garmin Electronics

3. Member
    Went in to get insurance on the new truck and they told me to be careful they were getting alot of deer claims.

4. Member
    My heart jumps every time I see them in the early morning pulling the boat in the dark. “Stay over there on the side of the road, you son of a...”

Well two weekends ago a couch flew of the back of a pickup truck and I couldn’t dodge it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtyeggroll View Post
    My heart jumps every time I see them in the early morning pulling the boat in the dark. “Stay over there on the side of the road, you son of a...”

Well two weekends ago a couch flew of the back of a pickup truck and I couldn’t dodge it.
    That would have been a little disturbing coming at you.

6. Member
    All the deer I've hit were the ones you don't see until they are blowing out of ditch in front of you.
    1990 Champion 184
    Yamaha proV150
    Garmin Electronics

Quote Originally Posted by ratchet1300 View Post
    All the deer I've hit were the ones you don't see until they are blowing out of ditch in front of you.
    Yeah, she said it came out of nowhere.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ratchet1300 View Post
    10-4 on that one! I had one in the middle of the day run into my district car. Damn thing came out of nowhere!

9. Member
    In the 39 years of living in Hutch and driving back to my home town I've only had 1 deer accident, South of Osborne there are some hills and the highway has very little room in the ditches, out of the corner of my eye I see a big doe jump down onto the highway and run directly into my driver's rear quarter panel, did some damage but got it fixed no problem, that was probably around 1982-83, the worst animal accident I've seen was Thanksgiving weekend late 80's early 90's, was returning home on a road that goes north out of Nickerson called Hunter Boulevard ,we came up on a Ford van that had just hit an Black Angus bull that was standing in the road broadside, the front section of the van was pushed back even to the windshield, driver said he never saw that bull before he hit it

10. Member
    I've lived in Phillipsburg since 1990 and hit 3. One north by Nebraska state line and 2 between Stockton and Plainville. All on 183 highway.
    1990 Champion 184
    Yamaha proV150
    Garmin Electronics

11. Member
    Bambi does not carry insurance but most comprehensive pays the full bill. The deer you see is usually just a warning. If one jumps across the road, slow waaaay down, in the dark, there are usually 3 or 4 behind him.

I watched 2 separate deer get hit this morning in a 10 mile stretch of highway.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dwash_1512 View Post
    I watched 2 separate deer get hit this morning in a 10 mile stretch of highway.

14. Member
    Do those whistle things, you put on the vehicle, work? I've had a couple of close calls.

Quote Originally Posted by 316jughead View Post
    Do those whistle things, you put on the vehicle, work? I've had a couple of close calls.
    Some people swear by them, but I know two that hit them that had some.

16. Member
    I see numerous estimates written next door for deer hits that have the whistles on the front of them so I’m not a believer.
    1990 Champion 184
    Yamaha proV150
    Garmin Electronics