Thread: Ps30 ?

Ps30 ?

Using a ps30 to create custom maps does it speed up the process by covering more ground

2. Member
    yup

The PS30 is approximately 12 times more efficient with map generation when compared to using a single beam transducer.
    Garmin Pro Team

4. Member
    Hi Todd,
    I love my PS30.
    I have always wondered about coverage for mapping.
    What does 12 times mean?
    My Other mapping software uses DPT (depth below transducer).
    How wide is the coverage in feet from the DPT on a flat bottom?
    Doctor Sonar®
    Go Fishing, the Clock is Ticking

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Driscoll View Post
    The PS30 is approximately 12 times more efficient with map generation when compared to using a single beam transducer.
    Todd, what are You mean "12 time more sfficient vs. single beam?"
    Is it more bottom coverage ?More accuracy? Is PS30 using some pitch/roll correction tools?

The PS30 is approximately 12 times more efficient by allowing you to make fewer passes and get the same quality data. The software is able to use the port/starboard depth information to generate QD details over a wider area. So to scan an area with a single beam sounder, you need to make passes every so often depending on the depth to survey an area. With PS30 you can make way fewer passes to get the same detail.
    Garmin Pro Team

7. Member
    Todd, it is possible to create QD maps via ps30/livescope in 74/7608 units- non xsv plotter only?

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Driscoll View Post
    The PS30 is approximately 12 times more efficient by allowing you to make fewer passes and get the same quality data. The software is able to use the port/starboard depth information to generate QD details over a wider area. So to scan an area with a single beam sounder, you need to make passes every so often depending on the depth to survey an area. With PS30 you can make way fewer passes to get the same detail.
    I agree. the PS 30 is WAAAY faster and I find it much more accurate than any other contour map.

However, i have a question for you regarding coverage, Todd.
    Does the selected beam width (and/or installation angle) affect map detail and area covered?
    I.E. 10deg beam for high detail or
    40 degree beam for covering a larger area?

Quote Originally Posted by MaciejK View Post
    Todd, it is possible to create QD maps via ps30/livescope in 74/7608 units- non xsv plotter only?
    Yes, the 7608 (no built-in sonar) is compatible with the PS30 and QD mapping.
    Garmin Pro Team

Quote Originally Posted by SamMule View Post
    I agree. the PS 30 is WAAAY faster and I find it much more accurate than any other contour map.

However, i have a question for you regarding coverage, Todd.
    Does the selected beam width (and/or installation angle) affect map detail and area covered?
    I.E. 10deg beam for high detail or
    40 degree beam for covering a larger area?
    When recording QD with the PS30, it uses the historical mode data to generate the contours so the beam width selection doesn’t affect it at all. It is the same for the transducer installation angle (not much affect), as the 3D historical mode always tries to keep the beam pointed down.
    Garmin Pro Team

11. Member
    Good to know. One less thing to mess with then. Thanks!

12. Member
    I've fitted the ps30 and wow in 15ft it maps 120 to 160ft with excellent quality

13. Member
    I've used the PS30 for quiet a bit of mapping. 120 degree cone in 15 FOW only covers about 52 ft. Also, while mapping, on screen it displays a number of what the coverage is you are getting. I'm not sure what you are saying.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

14. Member
    Not a flat bottom running along the edges so water out one side not under the boat can be 25 30feet