Thread: Tatula Help

Tatula Help

One of my original Tatulas is in need of some help. I used this reel primarily for A rigs and it worked great the last 2 winters. This year I started fishing and things were going well, all of the sudden it started making a scratching noise when I would cast. It seriously messes with casting distance, and will slow the bait down or basically stop it inconsistently. I’ve taken the whole thing apart, oiled and greased it, but the noise persists. To my best observation, it looks like the spool is rubbing on the frame, but I can’t pinpoint it.

Anyone ever have this happen or something like it?

2. Member
    Spool bearings most likely. Throw them away and put quality bearings like ZPI or HH. Or do yourself a huge favor and buy a ZPI NRC-002 spool to throw in there (comes with bearings)

I agree that it's probably spool bearings, but if it's not then you're out a fair amount of money throwing parts at it. Given that you've done what you know how to do, I'd send it off to the Tackle Trap and have them work their magic. It'll come back better than when it was new.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

4. Banned
    Spool bearings.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaredn View Post
    Spool bearings most likely. Throw them away and put quality bearings like ZPI or HH. Or do yourself a huge favor and buy a ZPI NRC-002 spool to throw in there (comes with bearings)
    ZPI spools are no longer made/available.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fitron View Post
    ZPI spools are no longer made/available.
    im well aware. The NRC002s are still readily available though

well scratch that. I know the 001s sold quick after the announcement but my source still had hundreds of 002s when I snatched up my 001 supply....just checked and they don’t have any left

7. Member
    Well I suppose ill get some spool bearings/new spool. Worse case scenario, I can put them in one of my other 7 tatulas lol. Thanks guys

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinV View Post
    Well I suppose ill get some spool bearings/new spool. Worse case scenario, I can put them in one of my other 7 tatulas lol. Thanks guys
    Hedgehog ZR bearings are great replacements.
    2020 Phoenix 920 Elite | Merc 250 ProXS

9. Member
    Put new ZRs in it from Tackle Trap, no change. The noise is definitely not a bearing issue. I’ve torn the entire reel apart, I think literally every component that can be removed and inspected/oiled it. It is the spool itself dragging on something but very lightly and not consistently. It seems the slightest amount of side pressure on the reel handle (think torquing it unevenly) causes the main spool shaft to move, which then torques the main gear/spool gear, which then causes the spool to be moved ever so slightly. I’m beginning to wonder if 2 years of throwing a rigs slightly bent something to where you can’t tell. My next option is to polish the outside edges of spool and see if that helps or slap a new spool in there. I love this reel too much to just abandon it, but it’s driving me nuts.