Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Throw the reel in the lake!

2. Member
    You might be throwing too much slack in the line when you retrieve creating loose windings on the reel that cause a backlash. That's why it doesn'thappen right away.

3. Member
    I picked up a few used revos on eBay last year. Started using one recently with mono and had same problem. Used it yesterday with a heavier bait and no problems at all. Went from throwing a t-rigged worm 1/4 ounce to a swim jig that's 1/2 ounce. Small spool works better with heavier baits. Light bait causes override.

4. Member
    I use a Lew's Super Duty with 65 pound Power Pro on a 7'6" flipping stick and rarely throw a backlash. Those backlash situations are a bear with braid. I prefer a rod with a lighter tip and fast taper for frogs.

5. Member
    I gave a 13 reel a chance but ended up trashing it. Much better and much more user friendly reels out there. Give a Tatula SV TW a try, they are hard to backlash.

6. Member
    I had a couple 13 reels when they came out, they were pretty decent for a short while but after the new wore off they wouldn't hold their tension and needed constant tuning, I'm not a fan, so I'd say it's the reel, call tackle trap and get you a Daiwa tatula elite
    Cheese County Bass Club

Can I say both? Because the reel is definitely a problem here as it shouldn't be that finicky, but Sufix 832 is also a problem. After frogging with that stuff for a while, I started to realize it was giving me issues. It either soaks up water more than other braids or is more neutrally bouyant than other braids. Whatever it is, the stuff sinks. It'll make you crazy trying to work a frog through pads as the line sinking means you're caught on every pad in the group you're fishing. I've been a lot happier throwing a frog on other braid...this year it was J-braid Grand and it worked much better.

Given that your issues come with 10-15 casts under your belt, I'm going to say that out of the alternatives I listed above, it sounds like the reason I was fighting it sinking and the reason you're having issues is that it soaks up more water than other braid. You've got the reel set fine, then that braid gets wet and heavy and you're suddenly casting something that weighs a lot more than the frog you've got the reel tuned to throw. Bam, "professional overrun."

As for 13 reels, I'm a Daiwa fanboy for life, but have a Concept C that's an absolutely fantastic reel. The only thing I don't like is you have to take the sideplate off to adjust brakes. Aside from that, the thing is a workhorse that casts great and fishes great. I throw chatterbaits on it and can skip them on the Concept C just as good as I can on my Daiwas. Different price point though, to be fair.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    Given that your issues come with 10-15 casts under your belt, I'm going to say it's that it soaks up more water than other braid. You've got the reel set fine, then that braid gets wet and heavy and you're suddenly casting something that weighs a lot more than the frog you've got the reel tuned to throw.
    Same thing happens to a guy I fish with often.....

9. Member
    Don't know the reel, but first I would weight the frog with 3 or 4 glass or plastic beads like used for Carolina Rigs and see if that helps. Can't go wrong with a Lews or Shimano reel vs 13.

10. Member
    I've had similar issues with 13 reels... I actually am happy with just eliminating side to side play in the spool and fine tuning under the side plate from there. But I'd say it's your reel not line

11. Member
    Try some line conditioner. KVD Line and Lure, Braid-Aid, or Real Magic. I have all 3 and have been very impressed with Real Magic. I normally spray the braid either the night before or the morning before starting, and then hit it again sometime during the day. Makes a world of difference!

I tried 832 once and didn't care for it. Went back to PowerPro.

I have a couple of 13 Concept A reels; although not my favorite, I don't have the issues you're talking about, especially with heavy braid. My Revo SX, well that's another story. That one just doesn't work for me on the rod it's currently on and will have to go back to the rod I took it off of........

Really HATE to ask...but have you read the instructions? A fishing buddy bought an expensive reel and was complaining about how it backlashed constantly. I asked the same question. He had NOT. Once he DID, he got it working just fine.
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Walkabout7781 View Post
    Really HATE to ask...but have you read the instructions? A fishing buddy bought an expensive reel and was complaining about how it backlashed constantly. I asked the same question. He had NOT. Once he DID, he got it working just fine.
    The orgin A is not an expensive reel...but I do have a few of them and they are fairly picky. I guess I've just gotten accustomed to setting my reels loose and thumbing them

14. Member
    No doubt its the reel. but 832 is the messiest dye shedding braid I've ever used. It made a mess of my reels and I know longer use it. Much better options out there for line.
    2019 Ranger Z520C DC / 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    What he said! Simplify life and buy any lews reel over $100
    Abu and lews used to made in the same factory...doyo iirc...dont know if they still are.

I wanna say pfleuger,bps and quantum too at doyo.doesnt matter lol...either way ivr owned both and the only one i have issues with was a gen3 revo stx...no drag and the spool only engaged sometimes after one day on the water. ABU "Fixed it" and i had thebsame problems within 2 trips. My lews tourny pro never gave me issues though...still use that beast (been 5 or years now)
    Last edited by ColdSVT; 10-22-2020 at 04:54 PM.
    2020 Skeeter ZX150

16. Member
    Thanks for the responses. Just to clarify this is actually the one three brand by 13 fishing which is a lower end branding of their products. I tried the concept a and LOVED it. But I swapped it with my dad because they were on back order so I just got two of the origin a’s instead. I have multiple brands of reels from shimano to lews to bass pro to quantum and even off brand stuff. The only reel I’ve ever had this same issue with was an okuna reel that I just could not get dialed it. I did forget to mention that both of the origin a’s have the same issue but they’ve got the same braid on each so that’s why I’m not sure which was which. I will definitely try one of them with mono and see what happens. I could see where the braid being lose on the spool causing issues because there’s not any resistance when walking a frog back so it spools up lose and once I cast it out a long ways and just reel it straight back to tighten the line up it will do fine for another ten or fifteen casts.

17. Member
    x1000000 on not using 832 for frogging, it sinks. Also the issue is definitely the reel.

18. Member
    I've got the same reel, and had the same problems almost identically.

What helped me was actually backing off the brakes and the spool tension, and running looser than you'd think is necessary. This is just a guess; it seemed like there was some weird harmonic that would happen when set up with "average" spool tension and braking. (This was throwing the smaller Whopper Plopper). It felt like the spool would slow down too much, then speed up mid cast, and create a small backlash. As far as throwing heavier stuff, it now casts farther than any other reel I have.

With that said, I still dislike it somewhat. It's not comfortable to palm, a bit rough feeling during a hard retrieve, and it is frickin WET. After 2 retrieves, your hand is absolutely SOAKED. On any ensuing cast, you get a nice lake-water piss mist across the face. Even trying it on different rods- wet wet wet! I still don't understand why that reel does that, whereas my Lew's will only collect a small amount, and my Shimanos are as dry as a *%#$ *=@*.

19. Banned
    Banax reels brake system can be awesome, or horrible, depends on what you are used to. I personally have no issues casting with my 13 or Quantum reels, and both are practically the same reels since they come from the same factory. If you try to "whip" them, you are gonna have problems. Smooth and fluent casts are the key.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12