Rigged Fuel Pump.

<1C020391>

Here's my problems on my 2007 Tracker 175 TXW 60 HP: I'm not sure what was done by the previous owner. It looks like the electric fuel pump went bad and they replaced it with the wrong one. The electric plug wouldn't plug up to the "new" pump so they added all this yellow wire. There must be 6 foot of it! It was crammed down in the lower cover. They just stuck some terminals into the factory plug so it's still there. No tape or anything. Then there's this "device" with three hoses on it that is outside of the cover laying on the back of the boat. I think is a regulator. All three hoses go back into the engine cover.

The boat ran for about 4 miles just fine before it died. Then I pumped up the primer and it restarted. We made it back almost to the ramp but when I went back to idle, it died. Pumped the primer and it never would pump up hard. The engine would fire up and die again. You can pump the primer ball until your hand falls off and it will never get hard. BUT! If I remove the fuel supply where it connects to the outboard, it pumps up hard so I'm thinking it can't be the primer. I don't see any fuel coming out anywhere and the oil doesn't smell like gas and it's at the proper level.

I've taken a bunch of pictures. I hope the link works! I'd like to take all the wrong stuff off and go back stock. Is there a internet site where I can view fuel line routing and order parts?

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...m6?usp=sharing
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 10-22-2020 at 09:35 AM.

2. Member
    Serial number is in his pictures - 1C020391.

What a mess. A genuine Mercury service manual for that engine should cover the fuel system in detail. Don (EuropeanAM) will be along to help and maybe someone else who has same engine as you.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You're going to need to get rid of all of that aftermarket "bafoon attempt" at a fuel system, and obtain the correct fuel line, correct lines and clamps, and a complete VST (Vapor Separator Tank) to install on the engine.

Also need to verify (or replace) the Mechanical fuel pump, and any filters that have been modified from their original configuration.

Sorry- I know it's not what you want to hear, but you will simply never get the dependable service you want from that "rigged" setup (not to mention it's not anywhere near "safe").

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    You're going to need to get rid of all of that aftermarket "bafoon attempt" at a fuel system, and obtain the correct fuel line, correct lines and clamps, and a complete VST (Vapor Separator Tank) to install on the engine.

Also need to verify (or replace) the Mechanical fuel pump, and any filters that have been modified from their original configuration.

Sorry- I know it's not what you want to hear, but you will simply never get the dependable service you want from that "rigged" setup (not to mention it's not anywhere near "safe").
    What I think happened is the pump in the vapor tank went bad. I found the whole part online. It's 850 bucks. I'm just trying to figure out what else I need. I don't care if I have to spend some funds to fix it. I just want it to run! Do you think the regulator is on there because someone put the wrong pump and it just needs removed and a new vapor tank assembly installed? I'll tray and add some better pics.

OH! I see you're within driving distance. Do you work on these?

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Regulator is there because they removed the VST Assembly that had the regulator in it.

Yes, we do service these engines also.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    If you don't mind spending some $$, take it to Don and get it fixed right with the correct parts.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mean_dean View Post
    If you don't mind spending some $$, take it to Don and get it fixed right with the correct parts.
    +100!
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax