Thread: Gen 3 to Carbon

Gen 3 to Carbon

Looking into going to one graph on the console. Switching From GEN3 9s with 3d SI to a Carbon 12 with Active Image transducer. Have been told the screen is sharper and a side imagining is better. Any feedback would be appreciated.

2. Banned
    Lisa, I call dibs on the gen 3 9's if you decide to sell.... let me know what you would want for them and I'd consider buying them.

3. Member
    Personally I wouldn’t give up 3D over an AI. 3D is top of the line for lateral distance and clarity but to each their own. AI is also a little more difficult to get mounted correctly especially if you want to read depth while on plane. They are obviously popular though so my opinion shouldn’t matter much.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoCAL View Post
    Personally I wouldn’t give up 3D over an AI. 3D is top of the line for lateral distance and clarity but to each their own. AI is also a little more difficult to get mounted correctly especially if you want to read depth while on plane. They are obviously popular though so my opinion shouldn’t matter much.

NoCAL
    +1.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Colibri View Post
    +1.
    +2
    Jimmy
    Phoenix 721
    12" Bobs Hydro Plate
    Mercury 300 Xs
    Dave Bush Racing Kit
    28.5 Bravo

6. Member
    I would get the Carbon for the better and bigger screen and keep the 3D

7. Member
    So would you run a 3d with a Live unit?

8. Member
    Yup. 3D is better technology than AI
    2B112175

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lisa1117 View Post
    So would you run a 3d with a Live unit?
    Yes I do. Some screenshots here:
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1048173

Don't wanna hi jack but I run a carbon on bow with AI and gen 3 at console with 3d, I was thinking of going to carbon or live at console. So you saying update units and keep 3D t 18.3?
    2012 Stratos 294 Evolution, Mercury 200 PROXS (1B933452)// HDS live 12, HDS Pro 10 with AT 1, HDS Carbon 12 with SS3D, point 1, sonichub2, Lowrance Ghost, and 3 Ionic lithium batteries.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoCAL View Post

NoCAL
    I agree. The AI transducer is lacking in the downscan on carbon unit. In my experience.

12. Member
    I upgraded my console from Gen 3 to a Carbon that is fully up to date on software. 3D is also up to date, I get great side range with this combo. I will eventually get a 3 in 1 nose one for the Live up front.

NoCAL
    2B112175

13. Member
    I bought 2 carbons and one Gen3 when the Carbons first came out. Thought I might save a little money in the process. Put the Gen 3 on the bow and the 2 carbons at the console. One day on the lake and I could not get the 3rd Carbon ordered soon enough. 2 things about the Gen 3 I did not like - at all. Of course the resolution was superior on the Carbon. But what turned out to be a deal breaker on the Gen3 on the bow was the poor viewing angle. Almost had to be on top of it to see the screen. Setting back on the pedestal seat I simply could not see what what being displayed. In an application where the Gen 3 is at the console viewing angle may not be an issue but still... Gen3 was slower as well in all aspects along with the screen resolution and viewing angle deficiency.