Hot and Fast Brisket

Did one last night. Good texture, good moisture. My issue was the bark. A lot of it was too hard to eat. Do any of you have any tips to keep bark edible?

Wrap it after 2-3 hr
    SeaArk ZX200DC Mercury 115 FourStroke

3. Member
    Forgot to mention, I did wrap it at around 3.5 hours, and it cooked for another 3 hours. I started off fat side down. Should I flip it after wrapping?

Video I saw from Harry Soo, he sprayed it down with juice, broth or water (can't remember which) about every 30 minutes before wrapping.

5. Member
    Ah, yes, the never-ending debate! :). Add liquid to avoid inedible bark, or potentially turn bark to mush. I just can’t find a middle of the road with my efforts.

6. Moderator
    Did you let it rest after you pulled it?

7. Member
    Yep, let it rest for two hours.

8. Member
    Yep, let it rest for two hours.

9. Smallmouth Junkie!
    I rest mine wrapped in a cooler for 3 to 4 hours if possible. I believe the longer you rested the better. If you can get it down to 150°F before you cut it I think it’s best. JMO. I also do mine on an offset smoker and wrapped in pink butcher paper. It is in the cooler in the paper wrapped in towels.
    2012 Phoenix 721 pro xp / 250hp SHO
    2003 Skeeter TZX-190 / 150hp OX66

10. Member
    RECIPE: BUFFALOWBBQ magical brisket
    I prefer slow and low. Figure on roughly 1-1.5 hours per pound at 225 cooking temp. Generally I use a ‘whole packer’ which is about 15-20 pounds.
    I trim the fat so it is no more then 1/4” all the way around. If you do not, it will take longer and may not render all the way out.
    In a mixing bowl - 50/50 Salt and Pepper - Pretty heavy. Then add 2-3 tablespoons of red pepper flake and mix that it. I now use @buffalowbbq Beef Rub for all of my briskets instead. Do a light coat of olive oil to act as a binder for the rub. Coat the brisket pretty heavy the night before or even two days before and store in the refrigerator in saran wrap or a sealed container.
    Fire up the smoker, @greenmountaingrills is my preferred smoker. Once it gets to 225 set the brisket in the middle. I personally prefer fat side up, but have found on pellet grills it just does not make a difference.
    Now the hard part… don’t do a damn thing. Don’t look at it, don’t spritz it, don’t wrap it, don’t add a water, don’t even think about it. DO have a drink or spend time with your friends and family or work on side dishes. This thing is going to take 15-24 hours depending on the meat and size of the brisket.
    Once the internal temp is 203, you’re are done. Pull it out very carefully, double wrap in foil, then in towels and put in a cooler or oven (not on) and let it rest a minimum of 2 hours. I prefer to let it rest in a cooler about 4-5 hours.
    When you slice it, typically the thickness of a pencil. People argue to slice it across the grain but I have never found it to matter when cooked with this method,