Mercury 150 efi vs optimax...i need help making a decision!

The mercury EFI that is on the boat currently is a 2000 model… I’ve never owned an EFi before. I have owned three OptiMaxs’. I love the fuel efficiency of the optis. But not the worry and upkeep of the....12 injectors, air compressor, small air compressor strainer, tracker valves, expensive oil...hard to replace thermostats etc. I know that the efi sucks more Gas. About a gallon more per hour at 3300 rpms. But how does it all come out in the end after tracker valves air compressors and expensive oil? The engines in question are a 2000 150 efi vs 2003 200 optimax. I found a 2003 optimax for 3k. I could probably sell the efi for 2k. I would be switching the engines myself. Thanks team.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Parts availability is another thing to factor in. MANY of the components for the EFI's are becoming obsolete/NLA.

That being said... I don't know that I would go to that length of effort/cost simply to jump up 3 years.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Keep the EFI.