2001 Optimax 225 direct injector question

I have a 2001 Optimax 225 DFI S/N 0t305247. Cylinder 6 is mis firing. My plug is carbon fouled. My plan was to move the fuel injector to a different cylinder, the direct injector to another cylinder, the plug to another cylinder, the coil to another cylinder, and I swapped out the coil wire. I dont have a ddt tester so I figured I would see where the problem moved to any replace that part. Everything was easy until I got to the direct injector. The two other injectors on that rail came out almost too easy but the one in cylinder 6 feels like its welded in. I have tried putting a rag on a pair of channel locks and pulling as hard as I can. It won't budge. Any ideas?

2. Member
    Am I the only one who has had this problem? I can't for the life of me figure out what is keeping that thing from coming out.

3. Member
    The Pro's be a long shorty .

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Likely CORROSION causing this. There is a "fork" tool that can be used to extract them... often it helps to rotate the injector back and forth, too. Be careful... they're QUITE expensive!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    I had the same problem with #6 not firing on my 2007 225 Opti. Ended up being corrosion in the direct injector. Don's right about them being expensive. $550 for one!!! Question for Don - what causes this corrosion? Water in the fuel? I am now using your cocktail in my tank and haven't had any further issues.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Internal corrosion is caused by condensation in the air side of the system (normal), and then SITTING. In a brackish or saltwater environment, this becomes worse (and is compounded by EXTERNAL corrosion due to water splashing into the cowling when coming off-plane, etc).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor