Interesting Article on Blending Merc 4 Stroke Oil from Boating Mag

Thought this was a good article, and may demonstrate to many that the lubes Merc specifies for our Engines are indeed engineered specifically for them...Oil is not oil (well, actuall Oil itself as it comes out of the ground is basically oil -- although there are differences from whence it came), but what is done after it leaves the well head and before it gets to us consumers can vary greatly in quality, cost, and protection/function. Happy Reading.

https://www.boatingmag.com/how-marine-oil-made/
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

2. Banned
    A virgin oil analysis of Merc oil will reveal no magical add pack. It’s oil.

3. Member
    That was a very good article, thanks for sharing it.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Good article with in-depth explanations. Blend of multiple viscosity oils as well as traditional (dino) and Synthetic product, with specific additives for use in a harsh marine environment.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    In light of that article, for the extra cost, I'll be buying the Verado oil for my L6 engine. It is so worth it.

I had no idea about any of those details. The party-line is always " . . . OEM's don't make the oils/fluids . . . it doesn't make a difference." Now I know, at least what Mercury does and I'm impressed with it.

6. Member
    Reads more like an infomercial. Nothing different there then any other blend for other manufacturers.

Interesting read. Its amazing what they can test in oils and lubricants and narrow every specific detail about it. Like being able to test if its a FC-W approved oil or not. Some people refuse to accept or understand that not oils are equal and that is a fact. Especially the ones thinking they cutting a fat hog buying something different because its cheaper. We have sent oil samples off at work to get analyzed and its really interesting stuff. Mercury oils in a Mercury engine what a simple concept.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

Quote Originally Posted by bshort View Post
    A virgin oil analysis of Merc oil will reveal no magical add pack. It’s oil.
    Got a link we can read?
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TritonTRXV8 View Post
    Got a link we can read?
    https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/th...marine.290460/

Pretty difficult search.......

Your correct. Nothing magical in that oil.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

I wonder if anyone has delved into the financials of Mercury Marine to see how much they make on their oil products. I use Mercury oils. It makes me feel better and do believe that Mercury oil is best. Some dealers are ridiculous on their prices though. I was at one last week and they wanted $52 for a gallon of DFI oil. I shop around and can get it a $25-$35 per gallon.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

Quicksilver is Mercury Oil.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Pretty straightforward... though it probably differs from most conventional automotive oils.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Pretty straightforward... though it probably differs from most conventional automotive oils.
    It doesn't. The Mercury oil add pack is very close to the same add pack of Pennzoil. Might take a few hours and a few spreadsheets, but the internet is ripe with voa's to crunch numbers on. FC-W is a rating that manufacturers pay, just like the Dexos rating.

15. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Might want to look at the friction modifiers...

16. Member
    I am using royal purp!e 10w-40 street racing full synthetic. I have 80 quarts in storage. When that runs out, I'll try something else.
    2019 Alumacraft 14.5 escape tiller "child support"
    2018 Ford fiesta "pistachio"
    1992 kawasaki zx11 "legend"