Banned

Two bank charger. Both banks on one battery?

I have a Minn Kota MK-220D. It's a two bank charger. Up until yesterday, I had it hooked up as one bank to each battery. My starting battery overheated and I suspect it had a dry cell. At any rate, it's gone now. I don't want to replace it until next spring. Meanwhile, I'm thinking about putting both banks on the remaining trolling battery. Thoughts on this? Thanks.

2. Scraps
    Are you saying hook both banks of the charger to one battery? NO!!!!!!!! Just make sure the unused charger leads are tie-wrapped somewhere that they can't get grounded or God forbid touch each other.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

3. Member
    You are fine. Pg 21 of your manual. You will be getting 20 amps.

1. Can I connect two charger banks to one battery?
      • Yes,thiswillchargethebatteryalmosttwiceasfast.Howe ver,thewaterinthebatteryismorelikelytoevaporatewit h higher charging currents. Thus, the electrolyte level should be checked more often. The maximum safe charging current on most deep cycle batteries is 20 amps. Consult your battery manufacturer for recommendations.

2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

I do it all the time. I’ve even hooked 3 banks to 1 battery before. It’s lithium so it can handle the high charging current but dual pro seemed to have no issues when I called to ask if I could stack the chargers.

2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    HDS16 Pro- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 Pro W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

MLF Invitationals Angler
    Instagram @brettcarnright

5. Member
    Are you sure it was not your charger that smoked the battery? I would check that out before I added those leads to get even higher output to the single battery, if you are not in some kind of hurry to charge that one battery. If you are not, do as the prior post said. tape the wires. Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

6. Banned
    Based on catdude28's post I hooked both banks to one battery. The charging appeared normal. It went through the bulk mode, moved to the absorption for a while, completed the charging and displayed the blinking green lights indicating the battery was fully charge and ready for duty.

Thanks for the replies everyone.