97 Yamaha Pro V 175 HP carb motor help

1997 Yamaha Pro V 175 HP carb motor. I let it sit too long without running it and now it intermittently bogs down at take-off. I have fresh gas (not non-ethanol unfortunately) in tank with stabilizer and ring free. I have to feather the throttle to get it on plane and it is not hitting top speed when it does. So, do I run a can of Sea Foam Marine Pro in (1) gallon of gas thru the motor in separate tank to see if that cleans it up or just bite the bullet and take it in for a carb rebuilding? Opinions appreciated.

I just went through this with my Pro V that's 7 years older than yours. I sprayed and ran everything known to man through it and I ended up rebuilding the carbs myself. Face it, your motor is 23 years old and probably needs more than juice to get it back. Get a buddy and get on the water. Remove the plastic intake shroud in front of the carbs. While your on plane a WOT, have your buddy squirt a small stream of gas into each carb. You will know when you find the problem by the sound and instant power of the motor. Good luck!

3. Member
    I ran a carb'ed 225 for 25 years, and every time I left it sitting for too long it needed a carb cleaning.
    You can try removing the bowl plugs and squirting the bowl full of carb cleaner(aerosol can type), reinstall the bowl plug and let it sit for a few hours, remove the plug again and flush it again with carb cleaner, then pump the bulb until clean gas comes out.
    Worked for me a few times, and a few times it did not.

Best way to prevent this for long term storage is to run the carbs dry at a IDLE.

4. "OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!" headhigh's Avatar
    Just hit the choke when it bogs down. If that helps it, you definitely need to clean/rebuild the carbs. I had the same issue on a 1990 ProV. Ended up cleaning and rebuilding twice because I didn't let the carbs soak in cleaner long enough. Make sure you clean the tiny jet holes out real good too.
    1998 Ranger R93
    1998 Mercury 200 EFI

"Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."