'99 Optimax 200hp air temp sensor

I need help, my DDT says the air temp sensor is bad, I have replaced it with a brand new one and it still shows bad. I have checked continuity from the plug going into the ECU to the wire going into the sensor and both wires check good, this eliminates the bullet connectors. I cleaned the grounds on the back of the motor by the coils, are there other grounds somewhere that needs cleaned that could cause this? It's the only alarm I have on the DDT, and motor runs good on the muffs but it shows the air temp is 32 deg. when it's 70 outside.
    Serial number is 0G944559

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    32 is a default that is assigned when the resistance on the circuit is outside of pre-programmed tolerances.

If BOTH sensors have the same result, it's likely that you have an OPEN CIRCUIT in one of the wires. Both wires should go to the PCM as I recall.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Thanks. I’ll check those wires out.

Well it turns out the 2 tan wires don't go to the 2 tan wires on the air temp sensor. lol I'm so embarrassed that I didn't catch that, I guess it's just too obvious. I had the one for the sensor on the filter crossed with the one that goes to the air temp sensor. I switched them back and all is good now. Seems weird to hook a black with red stripe to the tan wire. Thanks for your help guys!

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Good catch... explains the open-circuit "default" data.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor