Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    I’ve never had an issue with a plug.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumblebum View Post
    Always repair them from the inside.
    Patches should never be used.
    The umbrella style plugs are the only permanent way to seal a puncture hole.
    Question about the method whomever you pick to do the repair.
    Agreed. Also called a plug-patch. Done from the inside, is a patch with plug attached. This will seal any exposed cords from the elements. Michelin requires this method to maintain the speed rating.

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Axlenut View Post
    A good quality plug will last as long as a boot on the inside. Not all tire plugs are created equal.

4. Member
    I have been plugging tires for 20 years, and never a failure. I carry a kit in my truck at all times. I know I have done over 15 or so in a parking lot between friends and family and my own.

Your choice but I choose to plug.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    250 Pro xs 4S Serial # 3B010758

5. Member
    I am on the plugging band wagon. A friend who has been in the tire business since Moses crossed the Red Sea says a patch alone allows moisture to get to the belts.
    If patched from the inside it must be one like bware describes. Otherwise a plug is better than a simple patch. Never had a plug give a problem on a simple puncture.

6. Member
    You say almost new. How new? If it's within a year and you have a optional tire warranty most plans will replace the tire free. If after the tire will be pro-rated per the plan. At least this is NTB policy. How do I know? I literally just got back from NTB after my wife punctured a tire on the way to her work yesterday. If your tires are near new, replace the tire. Peace of mind especially with that quality of tire.

7. Member
    I hear flex seal is rated for 80 mph
    THE MORE YOU SAY THE MORE WE UNDERSTAND AND ACCEPT YOU ANYWAYS

8. Member
    I started carrying a plug kit with me and doing it myself a few years ago. Don’t know why I didn’t do it sooner. It’s far more reliable than dragging a spare out, even if it’s only temporary.

3 of my 4 trailer tires have plugs. Never had an issue plugging. I carry a plug kit in my truck.
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

I'm running at least 2 plugged tires right now with (hopefully) no issues. One is also a nearly new Michelin.
    __________________________________________________ _____________
    2005 Lund Rebel SS 1650 w/25 HP Merc 4-stroke
    USAF 1985 - 2006 NKAWTG!

11. Banned
    Thanks guys, I'm going with the patch. I wish I could take it to where I bought them but I now live 3 hours away.

Quote Originally Posted by bware View Post
    Agreed. Also called a plug-patch. Done from the inside, is a patch with plug attached. This will seal any exposed cords from the elements. Michelin requires this method to maintain the speed rating.

13. Member
    With your money, just buy a new set for cash.
    Praying for a Cure

Quote Originally Posted by wildturkey View Post
    Get a new truck !!!!

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mossie3 View Post
    Some places here won't touch it if the puncture is outside of the the most inner or outer tread groove. My puncture was barely to the outside of the groove. They said I'd have to buy a new tire, $225. I didn't think mixing in a new tire with 1/3 worn tires was a good idea either, and I didn't want to spend $900 for new tires. I decided to play Russian Roulette with my life, and plugged it myself for $5. It's held for 5 years now.
    who would a thunk...them plugs been around for years. I carry a set of plugs and tools in the truck.

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by wildturkey View Post
    I'm just a 'Wanna Be" compared to you guys.

bware, thanks, I didn't know that, good intel.

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by pa.X19 View Post
    Problem with the plug is that even when prepared correctly the belts can cut through the plug. That can't happen with a patch.
    Maybe,, but I am thinking this issue is rarer than hens teeth..
    I have plugged a metric buttton of tires, and dont recalL EVER having a problem

18. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dropdeadfred View Post
    I agree I carry a plug kit but only for a temporary fix. Then I patch or replace.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dropdeadfred View Post
    Yup 100% agree. Carrying a plug kit, jack, and compressor can get you on the road pretty quickly.

20. Member
    As a guy who'd been in the tire industry a long time and used to repair tires back in the day myself, I impressed by the number of people in this thread recommending the industry preferred method for a flat repair - Repair from the inside with a patch/plug combo after inspecting the tire.

There is a method Michelin trained me on that I've never seen in shop practice using a flat patch from the inside and separate filler to pull through the hole in the tread.

I don't recommend adding fixaflat (spray can sealer). Even if seals the leak, some liquid may roll around inside tire causing vibration issues that will drive you nuts.
    Sam

2022 Falcon F20 TE Hybrid - 250 Mercury Pro XS
    Not a pro - barely an average Joe!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast