Thread: oil info

oil info

I bought a new 2017 25 e-tec been using xd 100 synthetic because I fish all year COLD WEATHER. cannot find it anywhere. help please I'm about out.

2. Member
    Crowley Marine has some, look a few posts DOWN the list of posts please ...

3. Member
    Xd50 is the recommended by Evinrude oil for cold weather operation. Yes this may be contrary to the xd100 label. Evinrude made a dealer communication about this a couple years ago.
    There is no worry to mix the two oils in the oil tank but it is best to run the tank down of xd100 before changing to xd50.

4. Member
    Thanks to all !

5. Member
    My Evinrude Service Manual says to use XD 100 if operated @ 32 Degrees and colder.

Quote Originally Posted by unknown angler View Post
    My Evinrude Service Manual says to use XD 100 if operated @ 32 Degrees and colder.
    That's because XD100 is the correct oil for cold weather use

7. Member
    For anyone looking...this is a DEAL

https://domo-online.com/6-gallon-cas...ude-xd100-oil/
    2019 Falcon 215 Yamaha Sho 250, Lithiums, X2, Poles, Ultrex, Birds, Mega 360 & Livescope.

Previous-2017 Falcon 205 Evinrude G2 250HO, Lithiums, Poles, Ultrex, Birds and 360.

8. Member
    Listen to bighare

9. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scum_frog View Post
    For anyone looking...this is a DEAL

https://domo-online.com/6-gallon-cas...ude-xd100-oil/
    Shipping to me adds to the price....47.00 a gal....I'd look around....

10. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bighare View Post
    Xd50 is the recommended by Evinrude oil for cold weather operation. Yes this may be contrary to the xd100 label. Evinrude made a dealer communication about this a couple years ago.
    There is no worry to mix the two oils in the oil tank but it is best to run the tank down of xd100 before changing to xd50.
    I'm not questioning your word sir, but this flys in the face of all I was told in the early years with my 03 225 HO....Did they change the composition of the xd-50 over the years? Huey....duly noted sir.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassmeister View Post
    I'm not questioning your word sir, but this flys in the face of all I was told in the early years with my 03 225 HO....Did they change the composition of the xd-50 over the years? Huey....duly noted sir.
    This was a very controversial change in course that is for sure. Especially when you consider the small number of anglers fishing in below freezing temperatures.
    The XD100 has had some formulation adjustments over the years for improved lubricity. XD50 formulation is the same but for technical reasons of better cold flow, engineering reversed its recommendation and moved to XD50 for cold weather operation.
    Very little / very few cold weather flow issues (Issues none the less) with XD 100 were reported and these manifested themselves by way of no-oil warnings at several degrees below freezing. When the oil tank warmed and the engine warmed, the warnings ceased. XD50 works down to zero deg F. No more nuisance warnings.
    The question was asked what oil is recommended for cold weather operation. The current factory recommendation is now XD50 superceding the older XD100 recommendation. Current oil bottles were changed accordingly.

12. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    This was a very controversial change in course that is for sure. Especially when you consider the small number of anglers fishing in below freezing temperatures.
    The XD100 has had some formulation adjustments over the years for improved lubricity. XD50 formulation is the same but for technical reasons of better cold flow, engineering reversed its recommendation and moved to XD50 for cold weather operation.
    Very little / very few cold weather flow issues (Issues none the less) with XD 100 were reported and these manifested themselves by way of no-oil warnings at several degrees below freezing. When the oil tank warmed and the engine warmed, the warnings ceased. XD50 works down to zero deg F. No more nuisance warnings.
    The question was asked what oil is recommended for cold weather operation. The current factory recommendation is now XD50 superceding the older XD100 recommendation. Current oil bottles were changed accordingly.

I have zero doubt to your word because I guarantee you are more in the know than I am. I am going off what the owners manual to the new motor I bought said. My question would be if BRP changed its recommendation why did they not send a notice to all people who bought and register a motor in their name with BRP. How hard would it be to send a mass e-mail to everyone they have an e-mail address for. Again I don't doubt your word its just there is no mass publication of the official annoumcment...in reality it does not effect me. I might unload the boat at 35-40* but I am darn sure not going to be fishing if that is they daytime high

13. Member
    Thank you and all dang good questions. Just know that running XD100 in cold weather, say 30-32 degrees is not going to kill your engine. All the prior years to the change prove that.
    And fishing on the Mississippi, in Redwing MN, in late October, at 32 deg, in a heavy six inch snowfall, And then running face forward back to the ramp, and blinded by huge flakes Ain’t no fun. We limited out is the only good part.

14. Member
    Wow, I stand corrected, good to know. On a side note, when I had my 99 115 Ficht I was running XD50 in cold weather walleye fishing, I kept getting low oil warnings did some research switched to XD100 and the warnings stopped.

15. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Thank you and all dang good questions. Just know that running XD100 in cold weather, say 30-32 degrees is not going to kill your engine. All the prior years to the change prove that.
    And fishing on the Mississippi, in Redwing MN, in late October, at 32 deg, in a heavy six inch snowfall, And then running face forward back to the ramp, and blinded by huge flakes Ain’t no fun. We limited out is the only good part.
    Thanks Bighare for the clarification.

16. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Thank you and all dang good questions. Just know that running XD100 in cold weather, say 30-32 degrees is not going to kill your engine. All the prior years to the change prove that. <br>
    Thanks for the clarification Bighare....

Makes sense...as basic as this sounds it made me think about Chain Saw bar oil...
    Summer oil consistant like molasses,and Winter oil being thin...a lot easier to pump in the

1998 Stratos 285 Pro
    1989 Evinrude XP 150(E150STLCEM)(08199802)
    2004 Ford Explorer NBX V8
    1998 Jeep XJ 4.0L V6
    House Cat named Patches
    Remington 700, Old Cooey 12 gauge, A lot of Fishing Rods
    Some tools, garden hose with outboard attachment, 3 crow decoys, 8 Track Tape player,
    A Billy Bass, and clothing from the 80's.