Happiness is a Sporty! F150owner's Avatar

Question Need feedback on handheld GPS units

Hi all,

I'm hunting some new flooded timber (public land). I would like a reliable and weatherproof handheld GPS that allows me to see bread crumb trails and follow them with high accuracy as I'll be navigating flooded timber in a boat in darkness.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!!

Allison XB21 2+2, Merc 250 ProXS, 1.62 Sportmaster, Hydromotive Engineering X-OB 29
    Excel 1751 Viper F4, Tohatsu 50 4-stroke, EZ-Trac trailer
    FeelFree Lure 11.5 Kayak

I've tried a few different models and had good luck with Garmin. But these days I only use the on x hunt map app on the cell phone. Its so much more user friendly and better battery life. I liked it so well I sold my garmin.i don't use it in the application you do, but I have had to retrace my steps though alder brush that you can't hardly push through and find it to be very accurate

3. Member
    Ive had good luck with the upper end Garmins. Whatever you decide, be sure to practice in your neighborhood. It's no fun fumbling around in the woods after dark trying to learn a new toy.

4. Member
    I use the Garmin 64 series. So far, so good. I also download the Birds Eye sat maps.

If you have a smartphone, you can also use that with google maps satellite. Your phone gps is as accurate as anything. I prefer not to, as the Garmin can withstand the elements better, and you can't operate a touch screen with gloves.

5. Happiness is a Sporty! F150owner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RFeyoMN View Post
    I use the Garmin 64 series. So far, so good. I also download the Birds Eye sat maps.

If you have a smartphone, you can also use that with google maps satellite. Your phone gps is as accurate as anything. I prefer not to, as the Garmin can withstand the elements better, and you can't operate a touch screen with gloves.
    Good point on the gloves. I used my smartphone with the navionics maps app last year. It's great and very accurate. I recorded bread crumb trails during the day when it was 45 degrees. The next morning it was 25 degrees and I was trying to operate the smartphone touch screen running down the lake in the dark. My hand froze!!

Allison XB21 2+2, Merc 250 ProXS, 1.62 Sportmaster, Hydromotive Engineering X-OB 29
    Excel 1751 Viper F4, Tohatsu 50 4-stroke, EZ-Trac trailer
    FeelFree Lure 11.5 Kayak

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RFeyoMN View Post

Some do work with gloves on. The Garmin 680T that I have works fine with gloves on. I have gloves on most of the time when I'm using it.
    John

7. Member
    I was specifically talking about phones. My friend has a touchscreen Garmin that works well, and when wet and cold. I want to say it is a Montana...though I could be wrong. Still have to remove heavy gloves.

I still prefer the buttons.
    Last edited by RFeyoMN; 10-27-2020 at 12:52 AM.