Thread: 335195 Heads

335195 Heads

So I just go an amazing deal on a set of "335195" heads. They will be going on my 98 johnson fast strike 175. Other than new o-rings, Is there anything thing else i need to do besides just bolting these on? Like timing or jetting? Only other performance mod is ficht reed cages and chris carson reeds.

2. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    Don't know what you are trying to do with these heads but the "Hot" heads were not the only thing that made those motors special. I think they had a different crank if I'm not mistaken maybe ChampioNman will be along or 316Jughead and tell us more????
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

3. Member
    I thought from my reading on here that the recalled #335195 heads was a good performance upgrade for the engines that had the newer lower compression heads. Found these heads which are in great shape for $75 so figured it was worth trying them out.

Quote Originally Posted by twitch View Post
    Don't know what you are trying to do with these heads but the "Hot" heads were not the only thing that made those motors special. I think they had a different crank if I'm not mistaken maybe ChampioNman will be along or 316Jughead and tell us more????

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by swvabassangler View Post
    I thought from my reading on here that the recalled #335195 heads was a good performance upgrade for the engines that had the newer lower compression heads. Found these heads which are in great shape for $75 so figured it was worth trying them out.
    I believe that the 335195 head is the one available now, not the original head.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 316jughead View Post
    Here is two of the posts i read. I just dont want to put the 335195 heads on if they are the same as the 338311 heads that are on my engine now.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....ghlight=335195

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....ghlight=335195

6. Member
    Maybe that is the original head, I used to know. I'll have to look at my heads sometime. Getting old is sometimes not fun. I do know that running on the dyno my 1991 150 pumped out amazing HP at 4400 t0 4500 rpm then started dropping off. Had to be more than just heads. At 5000 on the dyno the 1992 motors were down a little, but some of the 1993 motors were right up there with the 1991's. A dyno test can be somewhat misleading, so much depends on the weather conditions at the time of the test.
    Last edited by 316jughead; 10-21-2020 at 03:50 PM.

7. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    0335195 are the hot heads. The OP needs to seal all his water passages with RTV prior to install.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    0335195 are the hot heads. The OP needs to seal all his water passages with RTV prior to install.
    Thanks ChampioNman!!!

9. Member
    Anybody have a copy of that recall letter on the 1991 heads? We were a full line Evinrude dealer, I got one of the very first Intruder 150's sent out to dealers. I read every single letter sent to our dealership from Evinrude about service. The first change we got was the starter solenoid, then the thermostat change. We must have missed the recall letter or was not notified of the recall, just curious what the letter said.

10. Member
    Anybody have a copy of that recall letter on the 1991 heads? We were a full line Evinrude dealer, I got one of the very first Intruder 150's sent out to dealers. I read every single letter sent to our dealership from Evinrude about service. The first change we got was the starter solenoid, then the thermostat change. We must have missed the recall letter or was not notified of the recall, just curious what the letter said.
    >

Probably said something like " Dear customer. We sold you an engine that performs so well that Mercury got butt hurt. Please return so we can make it run like a Mercury"

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by swvabassangler View Post
    >

Probably said something like " Dear customer. We sold you an engine that performs so well that Mercury got butt hurt. Please return so we can make it run like a Mercury"
    That's it, thanks.